Zeref x Reader : Impossible

A/N: I'm going to try to write up a couple of one shots and try to most them monthly, but it's been so busy that I can't guarantee that. If you have any requests, please let me know! (by requests I don't mean OCs. I have so many of those to try to see about doing. If you have any requests like "Mest x Reader" or like specifics like "Gray x Fire mage reader" or something, lemme know! For now.. I tried. Oof. A bit of a different take to what I have done in the past so let me know your thoughts!

It was peaceful on Tenrou island. While there was nothing on the island with him, he felt it oddly calming and welcoming even for someone as cursed as he was. Perhaps it was because this was where Mavis grew up. A hundred years ago he had met her. And a hundred years ago he had killed her. His overwhelming amount of love for the girl had been her demise, and his fear at loving anything or anyone that much ever again was terrifying. Afraid of hurting more people and killing them, he had secluded himself on the island. 

The breeze rustled through the trees, though the ones around him held no life to them. No green leave sprouted from their brittle branches, no birds nested among others to live their life in the home of the trees. Anything that had once been living died the moment he stepped foot onto the island. That was okay. At least here he could not hurt anyone. 

"Are you the only one living on this island?" A voice broke him from his peace, panic piercing his chest. His eyes snapped over to see you, widening at the sight. A real person was on the island. He needed to warn you away as soon as possible before you ended up dead, too. 

"Stay away from me!" He stood from his place on the ground, where he had been relaxing against the tree. With every step that you took forward, he took back. If you got too close the curse would overtake you as well, and then you'd be dead, just like the others. 

"Away from you? Why would I do that? I've been stranded on this island for a couple of days and you're the first person I've met... wait... were you stranded too?" Your hands were on your hips, staring at him with a fierceness that he had only seen once before, in the eyes of the girl he loved... whom he had killed. 

"If you come any closer you will die." He spoke clearly, though worried. What a tragedy, his curse. The more he cared about life, the more he was doomed to take it. The less he cared about life... well... at that point he would likely take it as well, seeing as he had no reason to care about it. The balance was never something he could figure out, though he often wondered if it would be one way to maintain his curse. Care just enough to prevent himself from killing on his own, and little enough to prevent his curse from killing others. 

It had not once worked. 

His inner scale was never to be balanced. One would always outweigh the other drastically. 

"Are you threatening me?" You asked, taking a step closer and narrowing your eyes. He instinctively took a step back. "Look, it's cute that you're trying to appear threatening and all, but I'll have you know I'm stranded here because I'm a freak, even in the world we live in today." You let out a sigh, and for the first time he noticed the deep sadness lingering behind your brave front. 

A sadness he saw reflected in his own eyes when he bathed in the spring or drank water. Though not necessary, he felt a little more alive if he kept up with at least drinking water. Eating was another thing. Since nothing around him was alive, he never ate. His body never aged, his face never changed. It was almost sad to think about, if not for that he'd lived like this for the past four hundred years.

"I'm cursed." He tried to warn you again, but you didn't listen and instead stepped closer. 

"Funny, that's suppose to be my line." You laughed, but it was without humor. "I was experimented on by a Dark Guild as a child. It was nothing short of hell, but I lived. And now, it seems I can't really do anything right. They wanted a soldier who couldn't die. Instead they got someone who raises the dead. Kind of horrifying for a six year old to bring back a dead wizard. And plants? Forget it. They grow like crazy. So I was taken to this island and dumped here, and I have no idea how to get anywhere."