~Chapter 7~

"Tyler Drake Woods!" Titus yells as I'm reviewing my notes from the previous day from the home videos.

"What, mom?" I shout back hiding them away and opening my bedroom door.

"Where are my videos?" He appears from his bedroom. He narrows his eyes at me as he approaches me.  We're both the same height so it's hard for him to try and remain intimidating. "Did you take them? From my room?" He growls.

"I'm finished with them anyway." I shrug removing the stack from my desk and handing them over. "Here."

He snatches them from my grip. "Why do you need these? Why were you in my room?"

I once again shrugged calmly, "You're not the only one with parents in this house. Or, maybe should I say you're the only one who remembers them."

His muscles relax and he exhales. "I'm going to go put on a shirt." He turns away and I grit my teeth. I'm closing my door when the doorbell chimes from downstairs.

"I'll get it!" I shout as I'm already hurrying down to reach the door. When I open it, I'm surprised to see Nicole standing there. 

"Hey." She smiles at me, but looks like she's in a bit of a rush.

"H-Hi." I gulp feeling nervous.

"Is Titus home by any chance?" She asks.

I open the door for her. "Yeah, come in." She enters and looks over our interior. I don't think she's shocked to see Ninja Turtles, gaming consoles, and other masculine items around the house. It's inhabited by boys. "Titus!" I shout. How long does he take to put on a shirt? He's probably "borrowing" mine. I return my attention to our guest, "Do you want anything? We have hot chocolate." I scratch the back of my neck.

"No, thanks." She denies.

Our attention turns to the staircase where Titus is. His eyebrows are raised. "Nicki? Why are you here?" He questions. He's wearing my shirt.

She glances at me awkwardly, "I kinda need to talk to you." She breaks eye contact and coughs out, "alone."

"Right.. um, I'll just... go." I stutter feeling awkward and envious of Titus all at the same time. I hurry upstairs. I don't want to hear the conversation between the two. I already feel sick to my stomach and a voice is chiming in my head for me to go down there and set some boundaries for the two.

~•••~

The branches scrape against my ankle, but doesn't draw any blood. My last time being in the clearing is a blur, but I know I have to go there sometime soon. Just not now because I have some other things to do. I reach the path once again and stomp my way through the iced leaves and frozen soil.

My skin is crawling when I see a silhouette of an animal in the distance. It flies by in a blur, but I catch a glimpse of dark brown fur. I don't usually see wolves in this area, but with Titus' party I'm not too sure.

I take out my drawing that I've been working on for awhile now. It's only taking so long because I want each and every detail to be perfect. I've been slacking off of it recently ever since the party fiasco. I can't stop drawing the wolves. The one with midnight fur, and the other with brown. They fill my sketching book page by page. It's as if I draw them to receive some answer, because I know they involve Titus. I'm leaning to Rose, too, but not so much.

"T-Ty?" A familiar voice from the darkness erupts. Rose comes into view with her phone in hand.

"Oh, hey Rose. How are you feeling?" I ask. She slowly approaches me and sits on a nearby log.

"I'm alright." She shrugs giving me a gentle smile.

"What are you doing out here? It's almost midnight?" I ask taking a seat beside her. She looks a little shaken up and I allow her to lean her head against my arm.

"I-I just need to clear my head of a few things." She chokes out, and her voice is a little dry. I can tell she's been crying. "What about you?" She adds.

"Thinking space." I simply reply and we both fall silent.

After a moment, Rose breaks the peace, "Ty?"

"Yeah?" I ask.

"I know I've been apologizing a lot for what I did. It's unfair of me to do that to you-"

"I get it, Rose. You know after the accident when you showed me my name written on your cast I actually remembered you. But you got so upset about it that I decided not to tell you. And just like that I became the freak. In school, everyone started excluding me, and Titus claimed to be protecting me. I needed my friend, but you left me."

"I was so angry at you. I blamed the accident on you because.... because we lost it. We lost everything."

I frown, "We shouldn't be talking about this. It's over and done with." I sigh and Rose looks up at me with a small grin. The grin that means something.

"Nicki really likes you. She may try to hide it from me but I know that look she gives you when I see it. She really adores you."

"That's where I'm stuck at the moment. I can't tell if she is using me like you or giving me the pity friendship."

Rose laughs, "Tyler, you idiot. I've never told Nicki about our predicament. She wouldn't think to use anyone, and I promise it's not a pity friendship. I've known the girl since birth. Trust me."

I smile thinking of our kiss. Well, the near-kiss. The one that would have happened if not for the scream. The party crashers. "I like her, too." I whisper, but I meant for it to remain a thought. I'm happy that Rose can clarify Nicki isn't what everyone says she is. I can tell she's a kind-hearted person. She cares about her friends and family more than anything. That's it! "My mom..." I state slowly.

Rose gives me an incredulous look, "Huh?"

"From the moment we met I knew Nicki was familiar. She-she reminds me of my mom." Ever since the accident I lost my memory up to that point with the exception of skills like reading, talking and so on. Throughout my recovery I could remember pieces of my past through certain objects or people.

"Now that I think about it... that does make sense. She and your mom have that.... personality. The kindness, strength, independence..." Rose gives me a dreamy look and hugs me. "I'm so happy for the two of you. Just remember not to hurt her because as much as I love you as a friend anyone who hurts Nicole Dawn Hanson is on my hitlist, got it?"

I roll my eyes playfully, "I would never."

"I know," She grins, "I know you would never do that, but I'm obliged to tell you that as her best friend."

"Who knows?" I smirk, "Maybe in due time I might become her best friend."

She hits my arm with the back of her hand, "Watch it, Romeo."