~Chapter 20~

Titus isn't here to see me dressed nicely for my girl, and I'm glad. I know he's going to question my plans, the people I'm with, and places I'll be. He should let me live for once.

I secure my bow around my neck and tuck my collar down. Ever since Nicole has left, Dick has been chanting "mate" the entire time I've been getting dressed. I've asked him what it means, but he's just ignoring me. I try not to let my investigation get in the way about the fact that I'm going out with the Nicole Hanson. I'm stoked to see her, and I can't believe we're going out on a date. Well, it's not technically a date, but it feels like one.

As I finish putting on my shoes, there's a light tap on the front door. 'It's her.' I immediately tell Dick.

'Answer the door then, Dingus.' He growls. My heart pounds against my rib cage as I make the walk downstairs. It feels like an eternity until I've reached the door, but Nicole's overwhelming scent calms me down. She must be wearing a strong perfume because I've been starting to notice the amazing smell she gives off. I breathe in a little and let it out as I open the door.

'God damn.' Dick and I both gasp to one another as we gape at this beautiful woman before us.

"You look stunning." I finally say after an awkward pause of silence between us.

Her grin widens, "You look handsome."

I feel bad for staring at her for so long. She's so gorgeous I can't believe she's at my house waiting for me. 'She ours, lover boy, now get a move on it.' Ushers Dick.

"So, uh, you ready t-to go?" I stutter. Not this again.

"Of course!" She nods.

I don't know whether I should take her hand or keep them to myself. To play it safe, I stuff them in my pockets and follow her out the door. I don't bother to lock it. We live in the middle of nowhere.

'This'll be fun,' Dick comments.

~•••~

I stare up at the building in amazement from the passenger window of Nicole's car. It looks so luxurious, and also well-guarded. I notice men surrounding the building and I feel a bit uncomfortable. Nicole's hand is in mine, and I don't know how, but I can sense she's somewhat nervous, so I squeeze her hand to reassure her that she's okay. She'll always be okay as long as I'm around. I won't let anything happen to her.

I hear a thudding heart, but I know it's not mine because I don't feel nervous at all, which is unlike me. I look over at Nicole, and I realize it's her own heart pounding. I don't pay it much mind, though. "So, what kind of ball is this?" I break the silence as I examine the bricks.

"Just a get-together made by some old people. Are you ready to go inside?" She bites her pink lip and Dick stirs inside of my mind.

I finally let go of her hand because Dick is putting thoughts in my head and I don't want to say or do something regretful. Nicki follows my lead and leaves the car also. She locks it and links her arm with mine. The warmth of her body spreads to me and I shiver. We reach the man standing at the front, and he pauses for a moment before nodding his head and letting us inside. Weird.

The first thing I notice is that everyone is separated into groups, and there's a lot of people who have turned their attention to me. 'Oh, crap.' I utter to Dick as I notice Titus with another girl standing next to Cole and Nick.

Nicki leads me to him, and I want to whine and pull her back so that he won't notice me, but grandma warned me about arguing with girls: can't win.

"Hello, boys." Nicole smiles at them all as if nothing is amiss, and her brothers raise their eyebrows at me. Titus completely freezes with his eyes glued on me like a hawk.