~Chapter 17~

My eyes open, and I'm almost immediately aware of my surroundings. There are trees all around me, and I'm gazing up at the slightly darkening sky. I also feel cold, and wet. I lift my head and see something red on my hands. My vision is uneven and everything is doubled. Is this... blood? 

I lift my body and tumble on my feet. I can't collect my thoughts because everything is spiraling out of control. Haven't I just left the fields? Where's Nicole? My backpack? And...And-

'Mine.' Dick's voice emerges from the depths of my mind and the vibration of his voice sends a shiver of a headache in my head. I examine the thick substance all over my hands and notice a clearing. There are voice laughing together, but a familiar one catches my attention.

'No!' Dick growls even louder than before. It sends me falling to the ground again, but this time when I look up I gaze into cold, red eyes.

'You killed my brother.' Another voice emerges in my head. My breathing is heavier and the animal levels me with his eyes. I quickly crawl back completely frightened.

"Wh-Who are you?" I whisper managing to stand up. The wolf narrows its eyes at me.

'Rogue.' Dick sighs as if he's been through this before.

"R-Rogue?" I question back out loud.

'Look, Ty, if I were you I'd do more running than talking.' Dick orders.

I dodge the wolf as it jumps at me. My reflexes are so quick I dart off in the direction of the trees. I should be able to recognize where I'm going, considering how much I've gone through here, but at this point, I can't tell which way's home and which way is just nothing.

I hear the wolf chasing after me. There's no way I can outrun this thing. It's way too big. Is it even a wolf?

I hear it growling behind me and my heart is pounding in my chest. The trees are a blur rushing behind me as the wolf gains speed behind me. "Help!" I cry jumping over a branch. "Help m-"

'You loser.' My feet stop, and I feel as if I've been thrust back into the back of my mind. I have no control over my body.

"Come on, wolfy." A voice comes out of my mouth, but it isn't me...not mine.

'Dick?' I whisper. This can't be happening. I'm imagining this. How the hell is this voice taking a life of its own? Controlling my body?

The wolf pauses just before us and growls. "Look, man. Your so-called 'brother' was getting way too close to our girl, understood?" The voice is Dick's and he's tormenting the wolf. "Idiocy must run in your family," Dick takes a step in the wolf's direction, and the wolf falters a bit. "Because now you're messing with my owner." The wolf whimpers a bit and Dick strangles the wolf with his bare hands. His fur begins to coat in his own blood as Dick squeezes tighter on his jugular.

'Dick! Stop!' I cry out, but it's too late. The life drains from the wolf with red eyes. His leg twitches and Dick drops his body like a sack of potatoes.

I take control of my body and fall to the ground, unable to move from the shock. "Dream... just a dream," I tell myself for comfort. How can this be a dream? All of this feels real. Have I killed an animal? No, Dick killed an animal. But, it was my body... my hands. And what was that about me killing the wolf's brother as well?

"Tyler?" I a tiny voice calls. My head whips around and Farah is frowning at me with her hands on her hips as if she's a mother about to scold her child.

"F-Farah it's not what it-"

She skips over with a stuffed llama in hand and examines the now dead wolf. "I'll go get mama." She groans with annoyance.