~Chapter 15~

"Love? No, In love? With Nicole Hanson?" I exclaim in exasperation.

Grandma growls, "Boy, don't make me hit you again!"

"I just... I don't... I-I-I-"

"I'm sorry to say we've run out of time today, dear. Take your things and please consider your feelings for her. She's an angel, and I don't want you to confuse the poor girl. You hear me?" Grandma is giving me my sketchbooks as she orders me and leaves me no room to speak between.

"Yes ma'am," I say still bewildered at grandma's statement. I plan on telling her about Imogen and the wolf, but just the thought of Nicole feels like I'm going brain dead.

"Good night." Grandma waves, and I stumble out of the art gallery. I reach the front door after greeting a few of the residents and leave the house.

The cold air nips at my skin and I can't focus on the wolf prowling in the woods because I'm thinking about Nicole. A muffled voice surfaces in the silence and I search around to find the source. "M-" It grumbles but drowns out by the sound of my ringtone.

I fish in my pocket and dig out my phone. Recognizing the caller, I ignore it. As I put my phone back in my pocket I surround myself with the silence. The voice I heard before continues to grumble familiar sounds. "Hello?" I almost whisper.

Crickets chirp.

Nothing comes after that. Maybe I am going crazy, after all. Being in love? It is a possibility, but it's hard for me to imagine myself like that. I stuff my now freezing hands in my pocket and begin to walk home.

Brown hair. Eyes that I can't begin to describe because they seem to change every time I'm with her. Warm, fragile skin, and a good heart. The more I thought about it, the more it settles in my mind.

Am I in love with Nicole?

~•••~

"What is love? The best feeling, I guess you could say. It's like being on cloud nine. You know you have strong feelings for someone that you can't deny. You'll do anything to make them happy." I recall mom's response when the younger version of me questioned her about love.

I rest with my drawing book in hand and surrounded by the ocean of flowers in the fields. It's my own thinking space and no one can interrupt it. There's so much on my mind I want to be with Nicole because she makes me forget. Titus, grandma, mate- anything stressing me out seems to all be okay when I'm with her.

I stand and begin pacing back and forth near the vines of The Field.

"Tyler, have you ever considered the fact that you might be in love?" Grandmother's words replay in my mind. Yes, grandmother. In fact, I've been considering it so much I can't think straight. How will I act around her now that she's proposed this!

I hear a grunt ahead of me, and my attention turns to the small ball of fur resting and peering at the enchanted waters. I'm so mesmerized by the beauty that a gasp escapes my lips. I know it's a wolf--which is why I should be afraid, but in an odd way, I feel more relaxed.

It looks startled at first by my gasp. Ears perked and its electric blue eyes study me in solid contact. They seem familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. It lingers for a pause and growls lowly. The cute ball of fur stalks over to me as if it's afraid I'm going to be the one to run away. Still, I feel a sense of comfort wash over me in the presence of the wolf. The wolf isn't as large as the wolf I saw outside of the library. This one is smaller and has a narrow nose which aids me to confirm that she's a girl.

The wolf prowls in my direction, and fear begins to run throughout my body. I need to run. This animal can have a colossal of diseases and here I am standing here like a confused idiot.

She reaches me and sits down as if expecting something. When I don't react she rubs her furry head against my legs and whines a little. She looks so furry and cute I can no longer resist. My hand hovers above her dark grey fur and I can feel the familiar sparks of electricity. I rest my hand on her tinted back and a pet her at ease.

She purrs in delight and weaves her head between my legs as if she wants me to continue petting her. She reminds me of an oversized puppy-Well, one with razor sharp teeth and can kill me.

When she rests, I begin to back away. I'm urged to reach to pet her, but on the same level, she's a dangerous wild animal. She follows me with her eyes and growls when I step back. I freeze once again, this time resorting to other measures. "G-Good doggy," I fret.

Her face scrunches up into confusion and she looks as if she's rolling her eyes at me. "Why are you looking at me like that?" I bellow. Great, now I'm a dog whisperer.

The wolf looks up at me as if she's grinning, but her teeth make her look even more intimidating than her size. I blush and she rolls onto her back making a high pitched noise I can translate into laughter.

I sit beside her as I'm waiting for her to stop laughing. Freakshow Tyler in his natural habitat of awkwardness and confusion.

I massage her fur when she relaxes, and listen to the sound of her purr. It's so satisfying and I feel like everything is around me enhanced. "Good girl," I mutter low enough for her to hear and she rests her head on her paws again. 'Nicole!' Someone yells and both the wolf and I jump in shock. I hear the same voice, but muffled and the wolf is on alert and looking around.

Before I can blink, she's gone. I hear her steps thundering behind me and I know that now, she's gone. But to where? Why did I hear that.... That voice? That voice didn't sound familiar to me, but it shocked the wolf more than I. She heard it, too.

Maybe I'm not the one going crazy on this hellish earth, but everything around me is going mad