~Chapter 34~

The sun is out. The sound of child's laughter fills the outside entirely, as it's in the middle of spring, and everyone wants to have fun. I wish it can rain and be cloudy, maybe even a bit foggy. Whenever there's a funeral on a movie or show, there's always dark, gloomy weather. Today, the sun shines through the clouds.

Today I know I have to be the sun for Nicole. She's going to see her best friend for the last time.

Dead.

I can hardly feel my body right now. It feels so unreal that Rose, a teenager, not even older than me, is dead. It's now sinking in for me. I shut my eyes, and at the sound of the knob turn, I open them immediately to greet Nicole. She's dressed in a long baby blue dress and her eyes carry grief from the loss of a family member. "We should get going." Her voice is hoarse from crying, and I nod silently. I feel like I'll say something to make her even more upset.

William has our ride prepared, and as soon as I emerge outside, he opens the door. "No guards necessary," I wave my hand and take Nicole by the hand and help her inside. I shut the door once she's settled, and walk around to seat myself. She's still quiet, and looks toward the window, purposely avoiding my gaze.

"Nicole," I gently take her hand, and her head whips around facing me. "Are you sure about this?" The car begins to drive off.

She forces a grin, "I know, Ty. It's what she would have wanted." I can't argue with her. She was best friends with her, after all. I sigh and lean closer to her, not daring to let go of her hand.

~•••~

When the car pulled up to the house, Nicole stared off into the distance, then back at me. "You ready?" I ask her. She nods her head and we both step out of the car.

Nicole stares at me then forces a sad grin on her face. I take her hand and we both walk up to the reception. "I'm so sorry for your loss," someone walks up to us and bows. Neither of us responds to the stranger, and they continue. I notice a lot of eyes are trained on me for some reason. I try to ignore the uneasy feeling. I don't want to worry Nicole in her time of grief.

"Nicki!" Cole and Nick rush over to us and embrace their sister. "It's been awhile!" Nicki hugs them back just as tight and I grin at them all. She's all I have left.

"Gosh, our little sis is growing up." Nick rests his elbow on her shoulder and she gives him an irritated glance. "It seems like it's been only 17 minutes, not years."

"I love you guys." She smiles and I can see she's happy her brothers are here.

"You too, sis," She growls at Nick for messing up her hair.

"Alpha Woods," Cole nods at me, "thanks for looking out for her." I still can't get over the whole Alpha thing.

"Goddess knows she can be a handful at times," chuckles Nick. Nicole turns her attention to the ongoing funeral and I see her eyes beginning to gloss over. She's due for a speech, to which I'm surprised she agreed to. I take her hand after Nick and Cole walked off together. I gently guide her to the direction of everyone else that walks by to stare at Rose one last time. Her hand tightens around mine.

'I can't do this,' she whispers.

'Yes you can, it will give you some closure. You can see her for the last time.' I try to comfort her and I squeeze her hand back. She and I reach Rose's casket, and everything seems to stop. It's so weird to see Rose here. Images of my mother flood in my head the day she was buried. I refused to see her. Nicki's hand loosens in my own, and I look at her. She seems spaced out as she stares at Rose. Tears fall from her eyes, and I gently pull her arm. 'Come on, Nicki.' She stumbles a bit, then finally follows my lead. At this point, I don't know what words I can say to possibly make her feel better. We sit in our seats, and Nicole shuts her eyes. I wish she didn't have to be here -- in this position.

A man walks up to the podium and begins to speak. The usual "not to mourn her death, but to celebrate her life," speech. Hearing him speak is deja vu. I stare at the now-closed casket that is now topped with Roses. Many people go up to talk about Rose and moments they shared with her, and it made some of us laugh. Rose was impulsive and clever. She managed to drag me along to jump from my balcony and practically shoplift a store for tampons and candy.

I turn to Nicole when I see her stand for her speech. I unconsciously take her hand and ask, 'Are you sure?'

'I'll be fine,' she says back and walks up to the stage. I furrow my eyebrows and it seems so unreal to see her here. She glances around the crowd and briefly makes eye contact with me.

"Rosalyn Nina Everette will be truly missed. Rose..... She was a lot of things; Including crazy -- and goddess knows she had a sharp tongue. She was also smart, caring, and beautiful. But most of all, she was my best friend, and that's why I love and I will miss you so much, Rose." Everyone claps and cheers her on, myself included. She walks down and sighs as she returns back to my side. She smiles a little, and I take her hand again.

~•••~

"Morning, gorgeous," I place the pancakes on the bed next to Nicole. She inhales, then licks her lips, still half-asleep. "I made breakfast," I kiss her forehead and stretch my muscles. I finished practice in time to get back to Nicole before she woke up.

"Did you?" She grumbles.

"Yes ma'am," I laugh. She sits up and stares at the pancakes. "I didn't poison them," I add.

She rolls her eyes, "Tyler, you really are something else." She takes the pancakes and begins to eat them.

"You have a few more minutes to live, now." My face straightens as I watch her swallow the pancakes. "It doesn't take long for the potion to enter your stomach. The acidity will rise, and your body will burn from the inside-out."

She gives me a funny look, "Ty, I cannot take you seriously. You're just too cute." She hugs me.

I glare at her, "I'm not kidding."

"Shut up!" She hits my am and I can't help but grin.

"Yeah, yeah, okay, they aren't poisoned," I confess.

She finishes one of them then puts her plate on the bed. "Thank you, Ty."

I nod, "You're welcome. I mean, I'm not much of a cook myself."

She rolls her eyes, "Not just for the pancakes. For everything. For staying with me through everything... never giving up."

I kiss her cheek and sigh. "That's what I'm supposed to do."

"As I am to you. What's been going on with you?"

"What do you mean?"

She folds her arms and raises her eyebrow, "Ty, I know this time is as difficult to you as it has been for me. You haven't been telling me anything and I can't help but feel... I don't know, left out? I tell you everything, but I don't know how you feel."

She shocks me with her sudden outburst. "Well," I scratch the back of my head. "I guess it's 'cause I don't understand what I'm feeling, either."

She looks up at me, "What about Titus?"

I awkwardly clear my throat, "Well, uh- I-I don't know."

"He lied to you for most of your life, Tyler. You haven't even said his name once to me. How do you feel about him?"

I sigh and stare into her eyes. They're filled with concern and my stomach twists in knots. "I-I don't... I mean... I'm trying to find a way to forgive him despite the betrayal."

"His funeral is tomorrow, Tyler... I'm just scared for you," She kisses my cheek.

I force a sad grin, "You don't have to." I hug her and she rests her head on my shoulders.