The Sacred Path

The very next day was a regular cultural day. My mother along with perky took a vow to do one hundred and eight circumambulations(pradakshinas) around the temple.
Only after going to temple with them I got to know that I have to perform 108 rounds too.
If only I had known this at home i wouldn't even have stepped out.

" why do you do this to me everytime Madhu!! Why didn't you tell this to me! " I shouted in a raging tone.

She stood right in front of me with a frown over her face, not moving a bit... She is probably intimidated by my anger.

" don't you..... Even...... "
Just when I was seriously uttering. I saw a girl walking behind Madhu towards the temple and I stuttered" even...... Even........ ".
I was overwhelmed by the beauty.

The same traditional half sari
The same tapered waist..
The same luscious locks..
Except everything being even better.

Unmistakably the girl I've seen previous night:' the girl among stars'

" it's okay! I forgive you for this time " I said to Madhu, now in a very pleasing tone.

I pulled her cheeks and I smiled.
She stood there confused about what had happened. She probably might have doubted my mental health.

I quickly hurried into the temple along with mom and Madhu just to see the girl.

As it was an auspicious day, the temple authorities arranged wet turmeric in front of the temple [in Indian culture women apply turmeric to the feet and palm and it is considered as a holy practice during festivals].

There I have seen the girl very excitedly applying the wet turmeric to her feet before she walked into the temple.

I followed her... All along

She walked left....
I walked left...

She offered prayers....
I offered too....

She started pradakshinas
So did i.

Her sensitive feet touched the white marble floor as she moved forward imprinting the wet turmeric of her feet, wherever she stepped.

I stepped on every footprint she left... As I followed her.
Temple bell from behind rang in a perfect sync everytime I stepped on her footprint.

It seemed like gods from above were acknowledging that I was destined to meet her, or I don't know if I'm being foolishly optimistic.
She turned behind to give a smile that just seemed so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness: the same smile with which she conquered me the previous night.
And then it was obvious that she knew I was following her.
And to my surprise... It seems like somewhere deep inside she liked it too.

Just when she completed the prayers and was going out of the temple... I was about to follow her out, I was excited to begin a conversation with her.... but then

" where are you going? Who do you think will complete the rest of the pradakshinas? " yelled my mother from behind.

*poker face*
I knew I couldn't back out and that I'm busted.

" how can I explain that the only immediate result we get from doing pradakshinas is leg ache? " I bethought myself.  I didn't ask for her name either....I couldn't blame... After all this ain't no city... This is village.