Down in the dumps

"And that is what happened last night..." I said to madhu sitting on the bank of the river with an eye full of tear and heart full of pain, slow desolate tears ran from my unblinking eyes and dripped steadily into my nightshirt.

"Don't you cry baby...don't! " She rested my head on her shoulder and gently tapped my cheek to soothe the pain.

Madhu : What has happened is hard to ignore...but this is what you are destined to...don't you think what sundaramma told is feasible?

"What?"

Madhu : No soul returned and reappeared unless he/she has an unfulfilled desire or untold distress.

"But, now that I know that she is dead, I can no longer see her soul, neither can I talk to her."

Madhu : I believe in five-element-theory...her soul can hint you through air,fire,water,sky...give it a try..cuz I don't think crossing the river after sunset is not the only reason behind......

Even before she completed saying that line..a huge tide about 4-feet high aroused in the river.

"look! it's a tide!" she screamed.

"It's just a tide...." I ignored.

"This ain't no ocean...where do you see a tide in the river...?"

"what do you mean?"

"Follow the tide! Run idiot run! it's undoubtedly her!" She pushed me from behind.

I followed the tide, I ran along, I jumped the fences, I leaped over small water streams. I ran and ran until the tide calmed down.

I stopped, bent down a little and rested my hands on the knees. I gasped for a while and stood still to see where the tide has brought me.

Burning branches, ashes here and there, a person with a black rug over his shoulder and with a stick in his hand. Yes, the tide has brought me to the graveyard at the outskirts of the village.

The graveyard keeper was wearing a shiny alluring silver anklet to his waist. I walked closer to him to see the anklet. To my surprise the anklet seemed very familiar, I know that I have seen it somewhere. Yes, these were the very anklets which rhythmically synced with my heartbeat...these were the anklets which made a soothing noise every time my feet touched her feet while pedaling the cycle.

"Where did you find this anklet, I know that this isn't yours, tell me! or else........" I yelled.

"Sorry, son! but I found them three months ago on the other side of the river. When I was wandering there to seek few dried tree branches I observed two people carrying a heavy jute gunny bag with a star mark on it. I saw it falling from them. I thought they would return to the same place to collect the anklet but they never returned" Saying that he handed over the anklet.

"Where is the other one?"

" I only found this, I don't know about the other one..."

I took the anklet looked intensely towards it. The sound it made has brought millions of memories. If only she directed me to here...what is she actually trying to tell? where is the other anklet? or maybe this is just a coincidence and the tide is just a full moon effect.

I put the anklet in my pocket and walked back home.

[author note: happy halloween night!!]