Introduction

Humble beginnings. Every story starts with a hello, then ends in several other ways. The beginning consists of the hero protagonists meeting for the first time, making friends. Sometimes it starts with a tragedy, that forces the protagonist to leave their home and move, to the one where the plotline thickens. It's when the evil villain emerges with an idea, a scheme to take down the good.

The ending always depends on the plot line, the twists and turns, secrets being told, rumors being spread. It's always up to the protagonist to save the day, and most of the time, the happy cliché ending is written. The hero gets the girl, the villain is defeated.

That is how most stories go. It was always clear, anyway, who the good and the bad were. That part was always easy. It was as easy as distinguishing between the minor characters, and the main characters. The villain would always have a different goal, another route to success. They'd be violent, dark, powerful. There would even be a moment when it looks like they might win; the protagonist is injured, his friends engaged in heavy fighting someplace else. The villain is about to finish the story, having been victorious, when the protagonist fights back, his friends join him, and together they defeat the villain. Sometimes another hero will jump in and save the day, having realised they were wrong in an argument against the protagonist, and decided to come back and save them.

I think I must have millions of books with that exact same ending. Every story I've read has that ending.

All except one story.

My own.

Because, in my story, the one thing that separated it from the countless amounts of others, is that I had no idea who the enemy was. I was thrown into the story by accident. The story that would have had a cliché defeat and a success in one persons eyes, would also strike fear and paranoia in another's. It all changed once I joined. For not only was I on one side, I was on the other side as well, therefore, to me, there was no enemy. Only two groups of very different people fighting for what they believe. Both had lied, both had killed.

I could only choose one story to follow. Both sides convinced me to believe that the other side was the villain.

I knew which side I belonged to, I was just an ordinary kid. There was only one side that I belonged to, right?

And there goes another plot twist. Suddenly, I'm not a normal kid anymore, and suddenly I belong to the other side.

And so the plotline thickens.