Eleven

I woke up early the next morning, my chest tight and my vision foggy.

Coughing quite violently, I left a note on the side telling my parents I had gone for a walk, then left the house as quickly as possible to get some fresh air.

I can't be catching a cold now. It's almost march.

I left the estate and walked down to the main street, past the school and then down the pretty street closes to the river and the park. I went to the park and sat on a bench.

I closed my eyes and leaned back. It must've been quite early as there was no sign of life and it was still slightly dark outside.

I took a deep breath, then let it out.

I felt violently sick and my throat was stabbing at me. My vision still wasn't very good either.

I started walking across the park, and went into the post office.

The man behind the counter raised an eyebrow as I walked in, but then looked sympathetic as I piled Paracetamol, Ibroprofen and cough medicine on the counter.

As he scanned the items, he noticed that one of the boxes was broken and went to get me a better one. As I waited, my head turned to the rack of newspapers next to me. The title read:

"Manic forest fire mysteriously starts."

I read on.

My eyes opened wide as I read the last sentence.

Recently, the cases regarding teenagers causing havoc in the area has increased. We cannot rule out the possibility of them being behind it. The government has issued a warning to be careful of possible trouble makers that may be among us.

"Astonishing, isn't it?" The man said, as he walked back over to me.

"Sorry?"

"This. The stupid government actually believe that children could have done this."

I nodded. "Yeah. I don't even know what goes on in the government any more."

He stared deeply at me. "Nobody does."

As I grabbed my things, a sudden throbbing pain came from my arm. I grabbed it, and winched.

"Are you okay?" The man asked.

"Umm, yeah. Sorry. I must have hurt it yesterday," I muttered through gritted teeth.

He continued to watch carefully.

"Be careful, alright? If you need anything else, just ask."

"Umm, alright."

I started walking away, and opened the door.

"Hey, kid?"

I turned around. The shopkeepers eyes looked a lot more blue than before. Maybe that was just me seeing things. I shook my head, and blinked.

"Yeah?" I sniffed.

"Nothing," he said, doubtfully. "Have a good day now."

I smirked, then turned away and left as soon as possible.

I gasped as I noticed that the raindrops on the floor seemed to be moving, all in parallel to each other, down the path.

Why was I seeing things all of a sudden? I was having very bad side effects to the fall yesterday.

I hurried home as quickly as possible.

My arm was in so much pain and I needed to see what was happening. I ran back upstairs. With both my parents at work, I was glad of no concerned questions. Once I was in my bedroom, I threw off my coat and looked at what was hurting me.

A huge shiver ran down my spine. I had to blink multiple times to check I wasn't seeing things.

A white emblem was tattooed on my wrist. It looked like wind ripples. It looked skilfully crafted and detailed, with little silver fragments dusted all around it. It seemed to be getting clearer and more detailed by each second.

"What the?!" I gasped. I don't recall drawing that. I wouldn't have anyway, I can't draw like that.

Why was there a wind picture on my arm?

I was now a nervous wreck and I ran to the window and opened it wide to get some fresh air.

What was happening to me? Was I seeing things?

I then sneezed, and almost fell backwards with fright when I saw what was in front of me.

Wind came shooting out of my mouth, replacing what should be sneeze particles.

I shook my head violently, then ran to the bathroom and vomited as my nerves got the better of me.

Afterwards, I ran the tap and washed my face, taking in some steady breaths.

What was going on?

I tried rubbing off that weird mark off of my wrist, but nothing happened.

I slowly moved my face up to the mirror, then I almost screamed.

My right eye was white and silver.

I walked back from the mirror and stared once more at my wrist.

My heart was pounding. I sat back on my bed and curled up, with my knees against my face. I didn't want to look up. I just sat there, breathing heavily, trying to get out of this nightmare.

A moment later, I heard a huge gush of wind. I looked up, and a sort of tornado was revolving around me, with me inside of it, unharmed.

That's when my breathing cut short.

I put my hand out and the wind stopped. I made a pushing movement with my hands and a gush of wind so powerful send my desk rustling.

My heart stopped.

Was I dreaming? Was it all in my imagination? Did I really just control wind?

To test it further, I ran to the window and blew out. Instead of a normal little gush of air that would come out, a huge and violent rolling tornado-like wind blew out.

Before anybody could see me, I closed the door, then grabbed the one thing that might give me answers.

The book on Element Shifters.