Nine

Christa left a while later, and I stayed alone at home for the remainder of the weekend, looking through all of the stuff the Blacks had left me.

I had almost forgotten about the letter until I moved a photo album and found it underneath. I sat on the bed and ripped it open.

Armin,

This is all of Annie 's most precious possessions. Please take good care of them, like I know you will.

We're sorry. I write this to you two days after the funeral. We're sorry we couldn't wait for you to come back. But her Catholic parents would have wanted her buried as soon as possible, and we cannot deal with keeping her here only to show you her corpse when you come back. It is easier this way.

You meant the world to her Armin. I hope you know that. Whenever you find this letter, be it in a week from now or in years to come, just remember that what you two had was special. These items will hopefully keep her close. We felt it only right to give you them instead of keeping them. You were like a brother to her after all, and I can never emphasise how thankful I am that she had somebody as wonderful as you as a best friend. I'll remember that kindness for as long as I live.

This was a very unfortunate event, and I can't imagine how much grief you must be feeling. As we can no longer look after her, I wish you the best of luck. This is some of Annie's college funds. Please take it, from us. As a special thanks for being her friend.

I took out the thick pile of money, and gawped. There was a lot of money here, a huge stack all in twenty and fifty pound notes. The letter carried on.

Don't let her death take over your life. She wouldn't want that, would she? We can both move on, and she can rest in peace.

We both wish you the best of luck for the future. You are one handsome, intelligent young man, and you're capable of going so far. Send our love to your parents.

Thank you for everything Armin. We'll miss you. Good luck for your future.

Farewell with love,

June and Gareth Black.

An hour later, my mother opened the door to find me crying on the floor. She read the letter and pulled me into a tight, concerned hug. I could hear the rain outside growing louder.

After a while, she pulled me back and wiped away my tears.

"Sweetheart, don't cry. They meant well." Her eyes averted to my shelf, where Annie's books were. Her eyes were large and surprised.

"Where did you get that book?"

"What book?"

I turned to the direction she was looking and saw the book about the Element Shifters myth. I raised an eyebrow.

"It was in amongst all of the stuff. Why?"

"We've been trying to look for that book for years," she shook her head, with complete disbelief.

I walked over and took it down. I could see the annoyance in her face at how careless I held it.

"Why have you been looking for this children's book?"

She looked up. "Oh, research darling. We were trying to make a new children's trail for the museum."

My mother worked in historical archives, and was very busy helping journalists and detectives in the middle of London. It seemed to make sense, I suppose.

"But its a story. Its not real."

"Yeah, I know, but its an old myth. You know, like those Welsh ones I always told you when you were younger."

"Oh, right. Okay. Well, you can have it if you want."

As I handed her the book, she paused. "Wait, how did Annie even have this? We had it in the museum."

"Annie was reading it in the library mum."

"What?"

"Yeah. Before... Before we went on holiday that year. We went there, and she had it."

"It was stolen. How did it just end up in the library?"

"Annie didn't steal it. It was in the library. I saw it."

"No, no. Of course Annie didn't. But how did she get hands on it?"

"There's probably loads of copies, mum. It's not like it's some secret murder investigation, is it?"

"Oh, no, of course not. Anyway, its very precious that book, because it's very old. I suppose I don't need it then. Somebody must have made a copy and it fell into Annie's hands."

"It's very interesting."

"Yes, it is. Listen, I might need to check and see if it is in fact the artifact or not, so I might take it at some point."

"Yeah, no problem."

"Okay. Right, your father is working late, so dinner will be later, okay?" She stood up, giving me one last hug, then bit her lip and sighed at the book, before shaking her head and leaving.

I frowned, and looked down at the book.

I cringed as I remembered that Annie had once touched this book, and an ice cold shiver ran through my body. I put the book back on the shelf along with the letter.

* * *

On Monday I waited for Christa to come and meet me, eagerly waiting to tell her about the letter. When she came into view, though, she was walking hand in hand with Ymir.

I smirked a little, then smiled and waved as they came closer.

"Hey Armin, so, guess who I bumped into on Saturday."

"Santa Claus?" I answered sarcastically. They both grinned.

"You're funny," said Ymir. I smiled. She looked down at me, with a half smile. I never realised until how how light grey her eyes were. They were almost white.

We walked, with me in front, and those two behind me, and all the time I could feel Ymir's eyes on mine.

It was very windy today, and I regretted not wearing a thicker coat. Once we arrived in school, Ymir left us, and Christa turned to me with a beaming smile.

"You've had an enjoyable weekend I presume?" I asked. She nodded.

The wind suddenly died down a lot and I took a deep breath.

Christa didn't even have to ask.

"Tell me about it," she said, concerned. I smiled at the floor, then back at her.

She looked really happy and excited. I just laughed it off.

"You and Ymir are cute together."

Her eyes sparkled, and she grinned. "I think so too! Now come on, we'll be late."