Part Two: Thirty One

Reiner and Eren arrived back at the post office, with Armin still unconsious in Reiner's arms.

"Armin!" Christa ran to his side, from where she had been sitting at the table, staring endlessly and waiting for his return.

"He's alright," Reiner said. Ymir jumped down from the windowsill she had been sitting on. Mike walked towards Eren.

"What happened?" Ymir asked, observing the blood.

"Captain Levi. All of the squadrons."

"Where's Bertholdt? Is he dead?"

"No, he's fine. We were saved."

"By who?"

"The Fire Shifter. He called her Annie. An old friend of his apparently, although they didn't seem that friendly. She knocked him out when he noticed her." Reiner looked down at Armin.

Christa looked up at him. "Wait, Annie?"

"Yeah."

"Armin had a best friend called Annie. Said she died four years ago when he was on holiday."

"Did she live with the Blacks?"

Christa thought about it for a minute. "Yes. They left Armin all of her old stuff."

"That's right. So they do know each other."

"Where's... Annie now?" Ymir asked.

"With Bertholdt. They're sorting some things out. The bitch never stays long. She'll be gone before Armin wakes up."

"Why did Annie knock him out?"

"She didn't want to talk to him, was pissed. I dunno. A load of things. I don't really know why she was so angry."

Ymir frowned. "I know why."

Everybody turned to look at her. She looked away. "She was the first person I told about wanting to get rid of my powers. She told me to give it to somebody else; and when I suggested Armin, she immediately said no. I didn't know why, she never told me."

"Then why did you do it?"

"Because I was desperate. He seemed like a good choice."

"Not really," Christa couldn't even look at Ymir. "He had a family, a life. Me."

"Babe, look..."

"Don't you "babe" me. I can't believe it Ymir. My best friend's whole life is ruined, and it's all your fault."

Christa filled the two in on what was happening with the council, and how they released a statement saying that Armin had dissapeared, and had most likely died, as he hadn't returned home from his holiday.

"Right, let's get him to a bed." Reiner moved Armin to Eren's bed to rest, then returned to the kitchen, where Mike was putting a bandage around Eren's leg.

Ymir leaned against the wall. Eren looked up at Christa. Everything was quiet.

"So, is Annie going to come back to see us?"

Reiner shook his head. "Probably not."

"Have you ever met her before?" Eren asked him.

"Yeah, a bit, but only briefly. When she first turned, I wasn't there and Bertholdt was the only one who knew her really. We only ever talk through him, exchanging ideas and things. Bertholdt is there now, telling her things."

Eren nodded. "Okay."

"So, what now?" Ymir muttered. "The council will be alight."

"And we need you to keep spying on it. Tell us what they're doing."

"Yeah, okay. I can do that."

* * *

I woke up in a cold sweat in his bed. At the end of the bed, sitting, leaning against the wall, was Eren.

"Hey Armin."

"Eren?"

He was biting his lip, staring at his feet. "It's okay. We're safe now."

"What happened?" My head was thudding and I couldn't lift it any further.

"Don't worry about it now. It's okay. Just rest. You took a serious beating."

My arm throbbed painfully. Distantly, I heard voices outside. "Is Christa here?" I asked in barely a whisper.

Eren nodded. "Yeah. She's sorting a few things out."

"Can I see her?"

Without having to say another word, the door opened and Christa walked in, still in her military uniform.

Eren shuffled further away from her with a frown. She noticed, and took off her jacket.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I'm on your side," she said simply, throwing the jacket, that had the military emblem stitched on it, onto the floor.

"Christa," I started.

"Hello Armin," she took my hand, and stood next to me. "I'm so glad you're safe."

I smiled weakly. She placed a new cold flannel on my forehead, and checked the bandages on my arm.

"Has Bertholdt come back yet?" Eren asked her.

"No, not yet. Your big friend has just gone out to find him."

"Okay."

"Oh, Armin," Christa almost whispered. "I've spent weeks thinking you were dead, and now look at you." She was stroking my hand.

"Will it ever be normal again?" She asked.

"Yes, it will Christa. I promise," I tried to say. My voice came out in nothing more than a painful mutter.

"Your parents think you're dead. We had a funeral for you. An empty casket. The council told me you were killed by your type. I joined the military to kill you all, only to discover that you are one, and so was my girlfriend." She shook her head in disbelief.

I tried squeezing her hand, but it was too painful.

"Rest. You need it," she said, then let go. As she turned to look at me again, she saw the necklace around my neck, the lock and key, and the swallow, slightly stained with blood. "Let's get that off you in case it strangles you." She took it off carefully, then put it on the side of the bed.

"I've missed you Christa," I whispered.

She turned back in the doorway, and smiled. "I've missed you too Armin."