Twelve

He sat back, ignoring the angry flames his comrade created, burning down the whole forest around them. They yelled and screamed angrily.

"Damn you Ymir!" They yelled. "Urghh!" They shot out more and more fireballs, viciously setting more and more trees on fire.

Then their whole body went on fire. Their powers were incredibly strong, so much stronger than his. They have the ability to control it in all sorts of places, create so much different things using them.

His friend turned to him with an angry smirk.

"Tone it down. I don't really want to kill any policemen tonight," he said. He then stood up, closed his eyes, and then water came flowing in almost a tornado shape. He opened his eyes and moved the river around in his hands, putting out all of the angry flames. 

His comrade scowled before clearing the flames from their body. They went and sat down on the floor, pulling out a cigarette.

"Did you see anyone today?" He asked.

His comrade smirked again. "That Levi guy was scouting the forests about three miles away. They'll come near here soon enough probably, if they saw the fire."

"Which is an enormous possibility," he muttered. His comrade just rolled their eyes. "You know, Reiner won't be happy when he comes back."

"Well, let him be angry. I don't care. Serves him right for leaving us while he goes out to do all the fun stuff."

"Fun stuff? Right. This is so dangerous, you know. The government and the hunters are less than ten miles away."

"Yeah yeah. Well, who's fault is that? You and him were the ones desperate to go to that town in the first place. We couldn't even find the guy you were after anyway. And now, to make matters worse, Ymir fell in love and left us. God damnit," his comrade blew out more smoke from the cigarette.

He just rolled his eyes. "You're right. We didn't get Eren. Reiner said he ran away back to Mike. He doesn't want to spy for the council. And yes, this is dangerous. But remember, we're all extinct, yeah? We'll go soon enough. Just let him do some more digging."

"Well, maybe he should find out where Ymir has gone while he's at it." His comrade stood up, and went over to the fireplace, lighting it. They were currently hiding deep in the forest about ten miles away from the city in which their ancestors used to live and rule.

The government secretly hunted for them, and up until about four years ago, they were all thought to be extinct.

But now they aren't so sure. They keep it secretive from the public, and have a special hunting squad that try and find them.

They hide and they run from the government, and they out-trick the hunters. They also hide from the scientists, who want their bodies for research.

They want the Element Shifters simply because they are afraid of what they do not know. They don't know what power lies among them, or of the destruction they can cause.

There isn't much of them. They were all killed about fifty ago when the new council took over. 

After that, it all died down and it was as if they had never existed.

But they weren't giving up that easily. Parents hid their children, gave them away, kept their babies safe until one day, they too would become Element Shifters.

Their main goal is simple, stay alive and hide. Only a small population remain by now, and most of them try and hide among the normal people. But some wish for more. A small group of younger, powerful Shifters want their lives back. To take revenge. Bring back what was once theirs. And they are willing to do anything to make that happen.

For now at least, they cannot do anything except for provoke the council. The ones in charge, the ones with the most fear. Scare them by showing that they're still alive and around.

The fiery comrade stretched. "We should get some sleep. If Reiner is back tomorrow, we'll have a long way to go to run away from here."

"Well, unless he finds something. Then there might be a reason to stay."

His comrade raised an eyebrow. "Look, I want to kill ever single one of those council members as much as you, but now that Ymir has gone, we need a new Wind Shifter on our team."

"I'll ask my uncle next time I go to the city to look for new members."

"When was the last time you found someone though? Me? I'm sure it was. Come on, we're all that's left."

"You're probably right," he sighed. "We'll see when Reiner comes back. Anyway, go to sleep."

"Alright." His comrade walked over to the other side of the fire, throwing their cigarette on the fire before lying down and drifting away into sleep.

He stood up and warmed himself by the fire.

He watched his comrade sleep. They looked so much less dangerous when they slept, much like when they first met. They were so innocent and afraid. Then they learned the truth and faced the harsh reality of their past, and their powers grew. An odd and unique gift that somebody of their physique would gain. Very strange. Nobody of their form would gain the powerful gift of a Fire Shifter. All the other fire mages that are still alive are out all around the country fighting and killing for their rights. Nobody has ever seen a fire shifter and lived to tell the tale.

He sighed, then sat down by the fire. Bored, he started creating tiny ripples form from his hands, making tiny water shapes in the air.

Then his emblem on his hand lit up that familiar turquoise-blue colour. He saw his comrades, who's emblem was on their upper arm, glow red and orange.

This hadn't happened in a very long time. He smirked, pulling an intrigued half-smile.

There was a new member among them.