Fourteen

The silence filled the air in the empty house as I waited, holding my shaking arm. I sniffed, coughed, and read the book again.

Everything was still, before the floor underneath my feet turned into water, and I fell into the deep sea that was now our carpet.

A few seconds of darkness, and then I felt myself standing on a hard floor. Not for very long though, as before I knew it I was pulled to the floor.

"What do you think you're doing kid?!" An angry voice yelled up at me.

My eyes flapped open, blurry at first, before I realised where I was.

I was lying on the floor of the post office. The owner was fretting violently, locking the door.

"What the...?!" I started, but he ran over before I could say another word and covered my mouth.

We were hiding under the counter, squeezed up against the wall, lying down on the floor. I tried to wriggle free, but he only grabbed me tighter. I was completely confused at this point.

"Shut up. You're not here," he muttered in my ear. I quickly nodded, faster than my pounding heart.

He stood up and walked towards the door. I heard a scurry of feet run towards us, then the door came flying open, then somebody smashed a jar that was on the counter, smashing bits of glass everywhere. I tried as hard as I could not to flinch as a piece of glass cut through my ankle.

I couldn't see them, I could only hear their varied voices.

"Where are they?"

"This is another misunderstanding."

"The little shits tried to communicate. We're detecting magical energy from here again. Do you have any captive?"

"No, no. I had a group of strange customers in a few hours ago. You know, the ones I told you about. That's probably it. I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about."

"You sure Mike?"

"Positive. The stinky brats just leave a stench is all. Remember, if there's any strange movement, I'll always tell you straight away. I swore an oath, didn't I? Now stop scowling at me."

The man speaking for the group sighed. "Alright. Actually, oh, the energy has gone. No new communications. A technical error probably. Sorry for the trouble, again. Just keep an eye out, okay? If somebody tried to do a signal, we can assume there are some Shifters in town. We cant rule out either that they could have the missing book from the council either. Stay on guard."

"Will do, of course. You were just doing your job, no hard feelings."

"Levi and his team have gone scouting the forests, any more incidents and they'll start getting involved."

"Alright. Sorry for the inconvenience."

"No, no. The tracker must have picked up some old magic energy from somewhere. We're going to go and see where that communication was sent."

"Okay. Good."

"Let's go. We'll speak soon Mike," he said. Then I listened to all the footsteps leave, and the door close behind them.

Before I could even think about moving, I felt him grab my hair and pull me up.

"Ow! Hey!" I squirmed.

He looked angry. "What the hell do you think you're doing kid? You can't use the communications anymore! The council track every spell that you make! If they find you then its game over!"

"What?! I didn't -"

"Woah, you're a newbie, aren't you? I saw you before, didn't I?"

I started shaking again. "Help me. What's going on?!"

He took a deep breath, hesitated, then gestured towards a door. "Come on then."

He walked through it, while I blinked after him. He poked his head through into the room again. "Come on. Let's talk, yeah?"

"W-who was that?" I asked.

I heard him tut loudly. "If I was actually on their side, do you really think I'd be helping you?"

"Urmm..."

"Anyway kid. Don't worry. I'll answer anything you have to ask, all in good time."

I followed his voice through the door, which lead to some stairs. He was already at the top, waiting for me. I hesitated.

He smirked, then walked into the other room. "Hey Eren! It's another one!" He yelled.

A young mans voice answered back. "What? No way!"

I reached the top of the stairs and followed Mike into the room. It was a big flat, his home no doubt. I was standing in the dining room, the kitchen on the other side of the room and a big living room furthest away. Sitting on a sofa, playing video games, was a scrawny brown haired boy my age.

He edged his head around, pausing the television and jumping up. He grinned over at me, then made his way over.

"Hi! I'm Eren."

"Armin," I answered. He shook my hand.

"Its great to meet you Armin! Air, I take it?"

"Oh, umm, yeah," I almost muttered, shy but still completely confused as to what was happening.

"You're one brave ass guy, you know that? Signalling a shifter like that! We haven't been able to signal each other for years! Not since council-"

"That's enough Eren," Mike called from the kitchen. "Come here kid."

He pointed at the table and we both walked over. I sat down opposite the two of them. They looked nothing alike. Mike was blond, with small, searching eyes, whereas Eren has messy dark brown hair, with big, green eyes.

Mike rested his hands on the table, and that's when I saw the blue emblem on the back of the hand. It too had crystals surrounding it. It resembled a water drop, with waves in the middle of it.

Eren, on the other hand, didn't seem to have one. I looked up at him, and as if he read my mind, stood up, and turned around, pulling his jumper down to reveal his emblem on his right shoulder blade. It was green, with a tree and mountains in the background. I knew instantly what kind he was.

I remained silent, with so many question circling my head. Mike nodded, sitting back on his chair.

"Now then. Where do we start?"