Twenty Three

(Third Person)

The group of military members came back hurt, limping and bleeding.

"What the hell happened?" a higherarchy from the council smirked. Three council members were there to see the mess.

"There was a group of them, Sir. In the eastern forest."

He needn't need anymore explanation. The leader of the Scouting group followed the council members into the meeting room. The first council member took out a box of pins and walked over to a map of the area.

"What types?" He asked, opening the box, that contained three different coloured pins - white, blue and green.

"An air, water and two earths."

"Really?"

"Yes, Sir. We picked up their grades as well."

"Yes?"

"The water and the earth one. Both sixes. We believe they're the same people that attacked the Third Legion last year."

There was a small silent moment as they remembered that day where they lost a few men, then, the council member turned to his map again.

He found the area in which the group of soldiers were attacked, then pointed at the two lonesome pins, that had labels hanging from them with the letters 5 and 6 on them.

"That water one has gone up."

"Yes, Sir. And very powerful he is too."

"And the other two?"

"White four and a green five. Always together. They're younger than the other two."

"Okay. And they were all together?"

"Yes. What I've gathered is that they split up into twos if they have the intention of fighting. Today, I dont think they were prepared for a fight, and ended up fighting  together. They had a strange tactic though. Everything was done individually. So one person would attack, then disappear. It was rather peculiar."

The council member pinned two pins, one blue, one green, added a label, then put their numbers, as well as noted that it was their second sighting.

As for the white and green one, that was their third sighting. They were less crafty, less sneaky. What was also noted is that the two youngest had to use their hands to create the sorcery, whereas the other ones didn't.

"And still no sign of that white six?"

He looked on the map, at where the white pin was found in the middle of town.

"No. Unless they're hiding. But I doubt it. That might have been a error by one of the new recruits."

"No, if we picked up a six then it's no accident."

"Oh, right."

The council member looked closely at the map. Altogether there was about nine whites seen, four blues, and only the two greens.

Somebody opened the door. A woman stood in the door, holding a file.

"Umm, sir? Team Levi are back. They've captured a blue in the east."

He looked quickly at the map, then pointed at a blue pin that was marked as a 5.

"I'm on my way," he said, turning to the military member. "Get some rest. Take any seriously badly wounded to the hospital. We'll decide when you're ready for active service again."

"Yes Sir."

The Council member followed the woman outside, to the back of the building, where Levi had a black-haired girl tied up by the arms. She was kicking violently. Her hands were locked in tight pouches.

Levi was stood behind her and walked over and shook hands with the council member.  They both turned and watched the girl struggle.

"Finally caught her," Levi muttered. "She's an interesting one. Been around for a while."

"What are we going to do with her? If you want to kill her I'll let you."

Levi thought about it for a second, before looking up.

"I might torture her for a while first."

Slightly stunned by his answer, the council leader frowned.

"We haven't tortured someone for a while," he started.

Levi snarled at the girl, grabbing her arm and leaning close to her.

"Yes, because normally I kill them on the spot. But this one, well, she looks like somebody with potential. Maybe you can tell us where your friends are?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she muttered quietly. "I don't know anybody else."

"Sure you don't. I doubt you'll tell anyone here. You just need a little persuading, that's all," he whispered into her ear.

She spat at him angrily, only to receive an evil chuckle.

"Disgusting creatures." Levi nodded at the two people holding her, and they followed him to a small building at the bottom of the field to lock her up.

The council member waited until they had gone in, before heading back in to his comrades.

The group headed back into the main meeting room, and happily took out the blue pin. Only three blues were out there now, two with definite locations and another one with a dated location from a while ago.

After about an hour of discussing new tactics to reduce the population of shifters, they were interrupted by Levi returning.

He walked forward and pointed at the map where the two greens, the white and the blue pins were placed.

"I'm going to go there. We've had new members, and I want them to know exactly how terrifying the Shifters are."

"Are you crazy? That's suicide! They're only new to the field!"

"They excelled in the training recruitment today. They'll be with my team. It'll be fine. We'll hide and I'll make sure no harm comes to them. If we could target those two first," he said, pountinh at the white and the green pins, "the other two can be dealt with in time."

"I'm not so sure..." the first council member said.

"Come on Erwin," Levi said. "It'll work. There'll be no more greens then, if all goes to plan."

They muttered to each other, then the other member spoke. "Fine. But we do not want to lose any of our best. Be careful. And if they're nowhere to be seen, leave immediately. Let the group of newcomers go home and do a survey if you must."

"I'm glad we could see eye-to-eye. We'll be back to take two more off of that map by tomorrow afternoon."

"We'll see. Go."

And away Levi went. The three were left to stare at the map, and to ponder on what to do next.