Ten

"Bye Armin! I'll see you tomorrow!"

I watched Christa leave, rushing away in the other direction, to meet her parents before travelling down to the south to see her grandparents. I smiled, then sighed as I watched her go.

At least I'll have time to do some work.

I turned away, ready to walk home. I hadn't walked home alone in a long time. If Christa was going somewhere, she would always go on Saturday.

I continued to walk down the pavement, when I dropped a folder from the pile in my arms. I huffed, and reached down to pick them up.

As I did so, I was reminded of a very fragile, delicate, forgotten memory.

 "Look, lets put these in my bag, there's enough room," Annie said, taking my folders and putting them into her almost empty bag.

I shook my head and sighed. "Dammit," I muttered, scooping them up as quickly as possible.

I walked on, down to the side to our estate. The long row of houses looked so still and quiet without Christa by my side.

The next event is a strange one. This one single event by one single person changed my whole life. Little did I know, that in a few minutes, everything was going to be different.

It was when I got the full view of the street, I saw a figure standing at the end.

I squinted by eyes, then raised an eyebrow as the shadow that I made out was Ymir's, or it certainly looked like it.

I walked closer, until I could clearly see her face.

"Ymir?" I asked. She was looking at the floor. When she slowly raised her head, I gasped.

Her eyes were white. It was as if there were no eyes there, they were blank.

Then a huge gust of wind blew from behind her, making her hair fly up. Her arms raised equally on both sides, she started muttering something. I stood frozen, watching as she performed some kind of freaky magic spell.

Her head moved down to my level, and she whispered:

"I'm sorry. But this is the only way I can be with Christa."

"What are you talking about? What's happening Ymir?"

She continued to mutter, as the wind grew and grew. I looked closely, noticing how the wind seemed to be coming directly from her hands.

I blinked, and my mouth opened and closed.

I took a few steps back, and watched as more and more wind came crashing into me.

"This isn't real! What's going on?!" I cried. But something felt strange, as if I was in a bubble where only she could hear me.

Then suddenly, she clapped, and I fell to the ground, hitting my head hard. I was out like a light.

* * *

I woke up in my bed, with a warm hand stroking mine gently.

"Hi Armin."

"Mum? Where am I?"

"At home, sweetheart. The neighbours found you. You fell, and hit your head. You're alright, don't worry. Missed a step. We all do it."

I blinked.

She smiled. "Are you okay? You hit your head pretty bad when you fell."

"I'm fine. I'm sorry."

"Oh, don't be sorry. It wasn't your fault. At least you don't have any injuries. I'm going to get you some tea."

"Thank you."

As she walked out, I let my head fall back down on the pillow.

Did I just dream it all?

Of course I did. There's no way I could have just seen Ymir perform some sort of weird magic.

I shook my head and stretched, distracting myself from the nightmarish dream.

I stood up and went over to the window, opening it up and breathing deeply.

The air was thin and stuffy. I closed my eyes and sighed, wishing for more fresh wind.

By pure coincidence, I opened my eyes and a huge gush of wind blew my way.

I soaked it all in, then closed the window.

"Here you go sweetheart," mum said, handing me the tea. I smiled and took it. She then moved her her head to my desk, where Annie's picture sat.

She frowned, then smiled down at her. "So pretty," she said.

I looked away, out of the window and frowned.

"Breakfast?"

"Oh, yes please."

"Okay. Take it easy, Armin. I'll be back now."

"Thanks mum."

I stared out of the window. The city was as grey and plain as ever, but, far into the distance, past the city and the hills, I saw a huge fire burning a whole forest.