Two

I woke up the next morning to the rain dripping onto the roof. I got out of bed and opened the curtains so as to let some light in. Everything was grey and wet.

A perfect start to the summer holidays. I sighed, then averted my eyes to the suitcase on the floor. Mum had left a pile of my newly ironed clothes on my desk chair. I walked over towards them, and started organising them into piles before placing them into the suitcase.

After I finished that, I got changed and went downstairs to the kitchen. Dad was on the laptop organising boarding passes in the study. A note on the kitchen table told me that mum had gone to town to buy some last-minute necessities.

It was only a matter of time before I heard the doorbell ring. Abandoning my empty cereal bowl, I went over and opened the door for her. She stood grinning in the doorway, I in a raincoat.

"Hello Mr Arlert!" She called, as she saw him through the open study door. He looked up, grinned and waved. My parents loved Annie.

"What shall we do today?" I asked. She frowned, looking up at the rain, then shrugged her shoulders.

"Lets take a walk," she smiled. I hesitated, but then agreed to go.

"Okay, lets go."

We said goodbye to dad, who told me to be back before five, then we left for the park. I zipped up my raincoat tightly as we both started walking in the dull greyness.

Then the rain started pouring heavier, and we both ran down the street to find the nearest shelter. Annie laughed, skipping around in the puddles.

"Lets find somewhere to go," I said, as we crouched under a tree. Annie thought for a minute before grinning.

"C'mon, let's go hide in the library for a bit. Get you something to read on the plane!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me down the side street that led to the main road. I sighed gratefully, mentally ticking off the task that I no longer had to do later.

We walked along the zebra crossing to the big building, its light wooden structure darkened from the rain.

Once inside, we took off our raincoats, placing them on the provided coat hangers, and walked into the calming silence. Annie smirked at the people inside, who were sitting quietly, reading.

I raised an eyebrow. These were definitely not her people.

"What did you expect? A rave party?" I whispered. She grinned, shrugging her shoulders. We walked over to the history section. Annie sat down on a chair, resting her head on her palm. I walked up and down, looking through any books that caught my eye.

When I came back to where any was, I found her engrossed in a big, old-fashioned book.

"Look at this Armin!" She whispered, pointing at the cover. "The Element Shifters," she grinned, and moved her arms in a form that resembled a ghost. I rolled my eyes.

"That's a stupid child's story," I said. "My mum used to tell me about them all the time when I was younger."

"It says here that they used to be very local here. The old government used to hold public hangings, where they'd hang anyone that had the power, or anyone who knew anything about them."

She continued reading as I sat down next to her to have a look.

"When was this written?"

"I dunno, like, a thousand years ago. The iron age I think."

"Its just a story Annie," I said. She looked up from the book, raising an eyebrow at my concerned face.

"Yeah, I know! It's just a cool story, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Imagine though, if they were real, like, if there were people out there who could control the elements. That would be awesome."

"I know what you mean."

Annie smiled again, then turned back to the book.

"Look, the powers are extremely rare in women. Legend has it that the rare few were only ever strong enough to control air, and sometimes water."

"That's a bit sexist. I know for a fact you're stronger than me," I smiled, thinking back to the time she challenged me to a judo match, that didn't end like I thought. She ended up sitting on me for twenty minutes while I tried flipping her over.

She smiled wider.

"That's true. That's enough fairytales for one day," she said, putting the book back on the table next to her.

I took a few books, then went over to the desk to borrow them. As I did so, I looked behind the desk outside the window. The rain was beginning to clear, the sun coming out. After getting my books, I went back to find Annie. She was standing, leaning against the wall, watching the floor. When I walked over, she looked up and grinned.

"Hey, ready to go?" She asked.

I nodded. "Lets go to the river."

"Okay."

As we left the library, a tall man in a black hood walked past us from the left, seemingly in a hurry to go somewhere. We stood, letting him walk past, watching him look behind us, as if checking to see if someone was following him, before turning down a corner.

Annie smirked. "Geez, what's his problem?"

"No idea," I said, continuing to follow his path.

"C'mon, lets go, before a whole gang come running down the street," Annie muttered. We made our way down the streets until we met with the bridge across the river, and jumped down to the bank.

Annie walked forward, stretching her arms. There was a split seconds silence before she turned around and smiled at me.

"I'll miss you, you know. How am I supposed to spend two weeks alone?"

I sighed. "You'll manage. I'm sure your aunt and uncle will do something with you."

"Maybe. I hope so. They both finish work at the lab next week. They'll have more time on their hands hopefully."

"Yeah, you see? It'll be fine. I'm going to miss you too. Don't worry, once I'm back we can go and do whatever you want. Picnics and swimming in the river."

"Sounds awesome!" She grinned. I walked over to her. She put her arm over my shoulders.

"Have fun Armin."

"And you."

We stood, watching the river and chatting until I had to leave. As we walked back, I caught a glimpse of the tall hooded figure, leaning against a wall, his covered face turned our way.

Annie didn't notice, but once I had seen him, I couldn't quite shake the feeling that he was watching us.