.

The student union at HU was nuts! crowded, always busy

The student union at HU was nuts! crowded, always busy. I decided to go and check it out. People were together doing homework I felt lost but then I saw something that caught my attention.

Information Meeting For Those Interested In Joining Delta Sigma Theta

Maybe I had watched Stomp The Yard and School Daze too many times but my dad was a Kappa and he always told us stories of the good times he shared with his brothers. I told myself that when I came to school I'd try new things and going to check it out wouldn't be so bad. I put the date and time in my cell phone and let my eyes wander to other postings on the board before heading back to the apartment. Walking down my hallway the smell had my mouth watering. I could practically taste it. Then I realized it was coming from Anixa's apartment. Would it be wrong of me to knock and ask for a plate? Shit I didn't feel like cooking and she said we needed to hang out. I fought the urge and was pulling out my keys when she poked her head out the door.

"I cooked if you want to eat."

"Oh really?"

I tried to play it cool.

"Girl stop playing, I can see yuh mouth watering from over here."

I blushed a little. Busted. I put my keys away and walked towards Anixa's door, she opened it up enough to let me get inside. Her apartment was laid out but it came as no surprise to me, I figured she was rich the way she whipped around in the white Mercedes truck she had. The furniture was plush black leather and her entertainment center put mines to shame, she had a white tiger print rug draped across her living room floor and typically posters of Bob Marley were framed in damn near every corner.

"You can throw your stuff on the couch."

She said pointing to her living room. I took off my sneakers and followed her instructions. After I got my things situated I walked over to the kitchen where Anixa was stirring a pot on the stove. There was an opened bottle of Moscato sitting on the counter next to her, her glass I'm sure half empty, she pulled another one from the cabinet and after rinsing it out handed it to me.

"You drink right?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Moscato."

I smelled the wine before putting it to my lips, surprisingly it was good.

"So how is school so far for you?"

"It's okay, I don't really know anyone though so I feel awkard."

"Yea me to. Dem girls at that Georgetown. Some of dem have they nose so high inna di air, it makes me sick."

"Yeah the girls at Howard are the same way, wearing heels to class and shit."

We both giggled.

"I don't trust too many uh female you know, they cause trouble."

"I only have one friend."