Chapter 21- The Green-eyed Monster

^^ Ma baby! ^^

"Jealousy is the grave of affection."
            -Mary Baker Eddy

Chapter 21

River's POV

A howling scream was all I heard as the tall man fell like a fallen tree, landing with a thump that could wake an entire forest. I almost expected a herd of animals to come running from the loud sound of the fallen man but none appeared.

Alastair had long since hidden me behind his muscular frame as the man continued to make sounds that sounded more animalistic than human.

A bone cracking sound caused me to flinch as Hyde grunted. I peered down at Alastair's hands but they hadn't moved from their place by his side.

Had he...?

I peered up from behind Alastair's shoulder, knees bent as Alastair sat nonchalantly, watching the man through bored eyes. A booming laughter escaped the other man's throat as he bent forward, slapping at his knees as if he had heard some hilarious joke.

Confusion bubbled in my mind. I peered up at Alastair, expecting a reaction, but there was none. His eyes remained the same as he continued to watch the man through his fits of psychotic-sounding laughter.

Am I missing something?

"You've still got that spice in you. Don't you, old friend?" Hyde wiped at his tear-filled eyes, brushing away the liquid wall of humor.

I looked down at his hand and gasped in astonishment. It appeared seemingly fine. There was no blood, no bone sticking out, it looked exactly as it did before Alastair had taken the initiative to crack it in half.

How...?

"Dinner!" A woman's voice blared across the garden. We all turned as a maid stood by the door waving a bell in hand.

Alastair stood up, hands gently wrapped around my waist as he pulled me up from the bed of grass and flowers. His hand wrapped around mine like a warming blanket as he stormed out of the garden, completely ignoring the lanky guest.

I pivoted my head, waving my hand to usher him behind us. He sent me a grateful smile as he trailed after us.

Alastair's hand tightened around mine at the exchange, an act I returned with a beaming smile. He peered back at Hyde before sighing and bringing my hand to his mouth in a light kiss. I could hear Hyde snickering behind us like a hyena, completely ruining the moment. Thankfully, Alastair sent him a warning glance causing Hyde to shut up for the remainder of the time.

As I entered the dining room, a wide smile stretched across my face as my eyes locked on Isaiah's giggling form at the table, chattering away with a grinning Derek. I tugged Alastair towards the table with our locked hands, sitting at the empty chair by Isaiah as Alastair sat beside me. Isaiah and Derek seemed to be in their own world as they spoke in hushed whispers.

I pouted, "Izzy."

He jumped before turning his head towards me. His eyes going from widened surprise to excitement.

"River!" He laughed, pulling me into a tight hug, "I haven't seen you in like a week."

"Like?" I laughed, "You've been gone for an entire week. How was the diplomatic trip?"

Isaiah was in charge of international relations on Alastair's advisory cabinet. Often, he was sent to other nations abroad to discuss treaties or trading. However, after Alastair had canceled our mating ceremony, sending back many, he had pissed off many people in high places and Isaiah, the poor thing, was stuck having to clean it all up.