Chapter 44- Split Minds

"Your worst battle is between what you know and what you feel."

A/N: Hey guys, this chapter is going to be much shorter than the last one due to my lack of stamina at the moment. I have an ear infection and I legitimately feel like my eardrum is having an orchestra in my canal.  I literally can't think right now. I super apologize for any incoherencies in this chapter. I'll be sure to edit it the moment I become more coherent.

Chapter 44

River's POV

His tepid, vile breath swept past my cheek as my hands tightened against the bundle of food. I stood, mouth agape, silently. No words, no sound would escape my mouth as my mind went blank.

A large grin seized one side of his face, pulling in a dark, malicious outstretch. I felt my palms to sweat, feet beginning to shake on top the dirt paved floor beneath me. His feet scraped against the flooring as his long, dirty nails outstretched past his toes, skimming against the hard floor and emitting a high-pitched screech. His dark, oily hair drew an ominous curtain over his face but through the cracks of knotty locks, a  pair of bright blues shone through, locking directly on mine.

My breath hitched in my throat, pulling at the cords in my throat and strangling me with all the strength it muster.

I couldn't breath.

His grimy hands wrapped around the metallic bars which contained him. His face pressed forward, dirty nose against rustic metal, as his mouth opened.

"Is that for me?"

My eyes followed his, locking on the bundle in my arms.

No.

Unconsciously, my arms tightened, locking around the food.

His gruff voice rang through my head, venomous little sounds that chipped at my sanity as he mocked me through his prison bars.

'Worthless.'

No. No.

My feet took flight, turning and running before I could process what was happening. Harsh words rang behind me, high shrilling sounds that cause my feet to move quicker. My breath pulls tight, gasping and tugging on my lungs as the walls begin to pull and contract along with my unsteady breaths.

The world felt like it was spinning as the heat around me intensified. The sound of laughter pulled through the cells. Hands reached through rustic bars, pulling at my legs as I tumbled to the floor. The food scattered, rolling from the bundle and into the hands of many as arms grabbed and tugged, fighting one another as I watched with wide, horrified eyes.

A hand stretches in my direction, latching against my ankle as I let out a shrieked cry. I jumped from the ground, kicking through fits of historia until the hand let go. I ran, feet moving faster than I thought possible as I choked against my harsh breathing.

No more. Out. Get me out.

I turned a corner, rushing past isles of cages like the plague. I wasn't keeping track of turns or movements, just running wherever my feet would take me. My mind spun like a top, unthinking, just merrily spinning, landing on sides on random.

I made a sharp turn, eyes unfocused as I rammed into a tall figure. A sharp cry escaped my mouth as I wrapped into myself. A choked breath escaped my throat as my body locked.

No. No more. No more.

"Your Majesty?" A voice rang above me.

I removed my hands from my face, squinting through my tear-stained vision.