Chapter 31- The Man in Black

^^ Anna and Beatrice^^

Chapter 31

River's POV

My eyes burned, eyes scorched by the stream of sunlight peeking through the window shades, as I awoke. My hands reached up to block my eyes, eyes blinking furiously, as I groaned.

Ugh, mornings.

A knock resounded from the door as I turned, pulling the pillow over my head as I squeezed my eyes shut.

Go away.

A muted voice could be heard from the doorway but I chose to ignore it as I turned, hoping to land on a warmth I had gained to accustomed to but sadly, to my own dismay, I came to nothing but cold bedsheets.

Poophead left me all alone.

I pouted, pulling the pillow from my face and dropping it next to me. I was too upset to attempt sleep.

Where is he?

I stood up from the bed, feeling my head spin as I laid an unsteady hand on the bed to keep myself from collapsing to the ground. I laid my other hand on my forehead, hoping to ease the twirling in my head.

Shouldn't have gotten up so quickly.

My eyes widened as I took in the room. It was purple. Not the golden room I was familiar with.

What?

I hissed as my head pulsed.

"Your Majesty!" The door swung open and I squeaked as a dark skinned girl rushed in, her dark, brown eyes widened as they searched the room before landing on mine with a relieved sigh.

"You weren't answering the door..." She sighed, hands rubbing against her blue, poofy dress. Lace and satin was all that covered her body besides a white set of pearls shining lightly against her chocolate skin. Her eyes shone with distress as they locked with mine.

Who?

It took me close to six seconds before all that had happened the previous day came back to me.

The carriage. The attack. The estate.

I wasn't home.

Home.

When did I start thinking of the palace as home?

"You're Madame Beatrice's mate?"

She nodded with a bright smile, "Anna," she chirped as she stuck her hand out. I peered at it but before I could make a move she had already enveloped my hand in hers and shook it with a widened grin.

I laughed awkwardly as she dropped it and spun on her heels, "Oh! The tea!" She gasped before fluttering out of the room.

What just happened?

Before I could even lift my hand, she was back in the room with a silver tray and a renewed smile.

"Got it!" She chirped, placing the tray on a nearby chair and sitting down before lifting the top. The smell of jasmine and vanilla wafted past my nose in an array of sweet fragrances as I gave a light sigh.

"You like tea, right?" She seemed momentarily nervous.

I smiled softly and nodded my head. She gave a sigh of relief, clutching a hand to her chest, as she poured a cup and handed it to me. I sat down on the bed and brought the warm teacup to my lips.