Chapter 59- Definitely Not Cute

^^Luna when Michael cooes at him lol xD^^

"Be like the wolf. The lion and tiger may be more powerful however the wolf does not perform in the circus."

Chapter 59

Alastair's POV

I sat still by the bed, allowing the wolf to rub itself across my lap. Its muzzle brushed against my stomach as a low purr vibrated past its thick-furred neck. It had been nearly an hour and I feared a maid would come in and see it. I contemplated leaving the room for a mere moment just to declare for none to come to our room but I was unnerved by the idea of such a beast being left unattended in a closed space.
Perhaps he would rip it apart in my absence.

Though beside that, I wondered if such a declaration would be a cause for suspicion. It wasn't unusual for me to ask for no maids when River and I were having our private time. Yet this was going to last longer than a mere day or night. I hoped for this to be a brief problem but I knew better than to be overly optimistic.

For a moment my mind flashed to my dungeon down below, away from prying eyes. However, it was a brief thought. Though I feared the beast, I feared the thought of my gentle River waking up in a blood-painted cell far more.

He was quite a soft soul, my sweet River. I wondered if that's why this was happening. If perhaps my mate was too weak to reign in his wolf. Perhaps the medication given to him wasn't enough to contain a ferocious beast in such a fragile flower.

It worried me. Since finding out River's secret, I had thought about speaking to Michael about it. Though I held back, nothing had happened as of yet and I wasn't willing to risk another knowing unless there was a definite reason for it. Yet now, it seemed like a definite reason had risen. It was more than just a pair of ears and claws at this point. The wolf had completely taken over and I wasn't about to sit back and watch the beast take complete control over my mate.

It had been strangely docile as of the past hour but I couldn't be sure how long that would last. I reasoned that its state was merely because I was River's mate and it knew I was no threat.

Could I say the same for another?

I couldn't. It was unclear how he would react to someone else. If a maid were to enter the room right now, there was no telling whether the beast the initiative to claw her face open. I couldn't risk it.

If it attacked another, River could understandably be executed. The thought of my beautiful mate being dragged to the gallows sickened me. I wouldn't allow it. No, I was going to put the beast down before the possibility could even arise.

Michael would find something. Surely he could make a formula of a sort that would bring River back and subdue this creature back to its previous nonexistence.

Suddenly, the wolf's ears pulled up. It's head whipped to the door. My brows pinched before a light knock chimed behind the door.

"Your Majesty, breakfast," a feminine voice called behind the door.

The creature's mouth pulled back, revealing a row of sharp teeth as it crouched, growling low in its throat. I cleared my throat loudly, attempting to drown out the wolf's lowered rumbling as I kept my voice even.

"Leave the breakfast by the door. There should be no servants by our private quarters for the rest of the day. Tell the rest of the maids," I repeated the same words I did every time I requested private time with River, hoping she'd come to the right conclusion on her own. "Also call for Master Michael," I added.

The last part seemed to throw her off by the quizzical tone to her voice before she left to fetch the blond physician.

My head pivoted to the creature as the maid's steps grew near-silent. Its icy eyes met mine and the intensity behind them unnerved me. I immediately turned away and lifted myself off the floor. I desperately needed to shower but feared to leave the beast alone.