Chapter 33- The Devil and His Kitten

^^My latest obsession- Brian Justin Crum~ this song goes so well with this chapter XD^^

"Like leaves lined with drops of dew,
my eyes become moist when I think of you.
Your thoughts are the only thing on my mind,
back to the good times I wish I could rewind."

Chapter 33

River's POV

Pebbled footsteps and held breathes was all that filled the thick, heavy air around me. The once sheet of nervous sweat had long since mingled with the musky smell of dirt and grime. My eyes squinted as a sudden glimpse of light hit me. My hands attempted to shield my eyes before realizing they were in a tight hold. I looked up at the man, face barely visible as my eyes adjusted to the sudden light.

"Would you please let go of my hands?" I tried for polite, but he didn't seem to care as he continued staring forward, not paying me any mind.

I sighed.

I'll take that as a no.

My eyes widened, gaze clearing as a dark, clammy view filled my vision. Dark-eyed men peered in our direction, hands pulling from their work, eyes watching like vultures to a dead carcass. Rock and soil were all that filled the rheumy area.

Where am I?

I peered up but all I could see was darkness as if my eyes were limited to go as far as the high expanse went. Long rock hung low, hovering just above our heads like a smirking foe.

Well, if they don't kill me that surely will.

"Parish," a melodic voice called. It was so familiar, so strangely familiar.

Footsteps filled the cave-like surrounding. It was like watching the entrance of a king, the people parted, heads bowed as a tall, blond-haired man walked across. His eyes narrowed as they landed on me. I flinched.

Something tells me he wasn't expecting an addition to his...band of emissaries.

A pair of large, brown glasses laid on the bridge of his nose, light reflecting against the frames as torched fire lit across the rock wall. His presence was earth shattering, almost incomparable to Parish's. It was almost like the earth rumbled to his beat as he grew closer and closer, eyes locked with Parish's. My head pivoted, eyeing Parish.

Unbelievable.

A wide smirk rose across his flushed cheeks. Excitement blatant in his eyes. He seemed to be the only one unaffected by the man's cold eyes.

"Emile!" Parish squeaked, jumping almost a foot as he wrapped his legs around the startled man's waist. Emile's eyes softened, hands placing themselves around the boy's small waist in a gentle manner.

"I brought home a present!" Parish jumped lightly in Emile's arms, hand raised in my direction.

Is he referring to me?