Chapter 39- Under the Roses and Dandelions

^^For all those who hoped for cute fluff. Enjoy~^^

"Wouldn't it be a perfect crime, if I stole your heart and you stole mine?"

Chapter 39

Alastair's POV

I watched as River's eyes slowly fell close. He'd been fighting sleep for last few hours in fear of his head injury. Though I saw no reason for his fear. Didn't one usually sleep off pain? That and bloodletting were but the only ways of treating until Michael came along. He was the first I had known to make strange liquids in order to heal someone, making him quite popular with the ill.

Anna claimed it was dangerous. Though how she came to such conclusion, I didn't know.

A soft sigh drifted from River's plump lips as he turned over, rolling over until his head rested against my chest. I let out a soft sigh of my own as I brushed a gentle finger across his milky skin.

So soft.

I felt a tug at my lips. I bent my head down to kiss along his neck only to pull away with a startled jump. His usual sweet scent was masked by a horrid, dirty scent.

A thorough bathing was much in order.

I wrapped my arms around his delicate form, one arm just below his neck, the other just above his tempting backside.

Disgusting, don't let your mind wander in such a direction. He's sleeping. How completely ungentlemanly.

I shook my head, placing a light kiss between his brows as an apology. Pushing the door open with my foot, I bent down by the bath, turning the faucet on and allowing the water to heat up as I laid River on my lap and waited.

Once heated, I began to strip, struggling with one hand as I held River upright with the other. When done, I reached for him, stripping him as well and climbing into the bath. I hissed slightly at the change of temperature, giving myself time to adjust as I slowly lowered us into the water and laid him against my chest.

I was surprised by how deep asleep he truly was. Through all the sweet-smelling oils and light kisses he remained out like a light, sleeping soundly against my chest as I took gentle care of him, cleaning and lathering every area my eyes cast upon.

I brushed my nose against his neck, smiling under the heavy influence of his intoxicating scent.

Aah, perfect.

He shifted briefly in my arms, and I froze.

"Love?" I asked uncertainly.

He grumbled under his breath, speaking incoherently as he nuzzled against my chest. I laughed lightly, watching as a pout fell across his small, pink lips.

Poor, tired baby.

I played with his hair as he fainted sleep, resting against my chest as I twirled a finger around a silky strand. Light bounced off the blond strand, giving off a silken golden shine to the small curl.

Like gold silk woven from sunlighten angels.

"...I'm in a bath," his voice came out unsure.

"Yes," I held in my laughter, kissing him lightly on the head to muffle whatever sound escaped as he remained silent.

"Is this your way of telling me I stink?" I peered up at me with wide eyes and pouted lips.

"Well...you did smell a bit, love."

He let out an embarrassed squeak, face reddening by the moment.

Ah, my own little tomato.