Chapter 71- Safe and Sound

^^Ma baby!! <3^^

*This chapter is dedicated to @NotTheBrightestKid for not just figuring out the three unknown people but for being so devoted to finding them. I was so in awe of you when I saw you going through each and every chapter to list every single character ever mentioned in this book. Even characters I had forgotten I made lol. Keep being awesome, love. You're amazing! <3

"There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm."

           ~Willa Cather

Chapter 71

Safe and Sound

River's POV

A soft breeze flowed through the open window, brushing past my face as Alice's eyes sparkled beneath the light ray of the sun. Her hair flowed gently along with the wind before settling against her shoulders.

Her fingers lifted to comb lightly through my hair.

"How are you feeling?"

My brows knitted, unused to her voice being as deep as it was. Perhaps my memories heightened it out of proportion.

It was only when I peered down at the pair of pants she was wearing that I was reminded of everything. She was a man. A man by the name of Noah. An idea that felt so foreign whispering through my mind.

"Why didn't you tell me you were a man?" My words came out low and hushed, for only him to hear.

Alice's brows lifted, eyes widening before his head whipped in Sam's direction, shock written on his face.

Sam stumbled over his words, attempting to dodge whatever fire was about to throw at him.

I was aware that she was a man, but yet I couldn't help but view him as the soft-hearted woman I had missed for so long.

"I didn't find out from Sam," his glaring ceased and his head whipped back in my direction, "I found out from your sister."

"My sister?" His brows knotted, "you met Melisa? How?"

"It doesn't matter-"

"You kept that from me?" Alice's voice heightened. My eyes widened, thinking his anger was being thrown at me only for his head to turn to someone else.

Confusion plagued my mind as I followed her eyes, landing on another blonde across the room. A gasp escaped my throat.

"Emile?" I could barely process what I was seeing.

Emile nodded, ignoring Alice's glare.

"What are you...?" My gaze turned back and forth between Alice and Emile, "you two know each other?"

It was like two parts of my life were coming together. Two very different experiences in the same room. My head was spinning.

"They work for me," said Emile, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

My eyes skimmed the three, Alice and who I assumed was Matthew from the way his arm rested against Alice's waist. When my eyes reached Sam, he jumped in place and began waving his hands in front of him.

"Nope, not me," he shook his head. "I never joined this creepy group."

My head tilted against the pillow.

"Matthew's a blacksmith," Alice explained, pressing his finger against the taller man's chest. "And I like to design weapons so together we make the weaponry for them," Alice waved his hand in Emile's direction.