Chapter 46- Awakened Instincts

"My drops of tears I'll turn to sparks of fire

"My drops of tears I'll turn to sparks of fire."

                    -Shakespeare

Chapter 46

River's POV

Like a flame ignited by a single wooden stick, sparks flew. Derek pounced, body lifting in the air as Hyde stood, eyes widened as a similarly built man landed on top of him. A high-pitched shriek filled the room as the woman on the stairs crumbled, trembling hands pulling to her face as all watched in complete astonishment. None expected Derek to crack as he did, eyes turning in fueled anger, as he landed on top of Hyde's shocked form, knocking him to the ground. Derek's legs laid on either side of Hyde's waist as he straddled him, teeth grinding harshly as his eyes flashed and his fist clashed against Hyde's face with a harsh crunch.

A soft gasp escaped my mouth as my right hand jumped to cup my mouth. My eyes went immediately to Isaiah who looked utterly frightened as his hand laid equally around his mouth, stance tensed and eyes widened. As Derek's fist pulled away from Hyde's a reminisce of blood was apparent across his knuckles, pulling a hiss from Hyde as his chest rose and fell.

I expected another punch to ensue but Derek remained still, watching Hyde through narrowed eyes. Hyde's eyes were clouded in visual pain, yet he remained just as still as Derek.

What is happening?

I turned to Alastair. Though his eyes didn't turn, they remained unwavering on the two forms on the ground. His eyes were filled with puzzlement yet...interest?

I peered back at the two men. They remained in the position from before I had turned though their expressions had changed. As Derek appeared stone-faced, Hyde's lips had upturned to a slanted grin. As if, in some strange, deluded way he was finding amusement amidst his own pain.

"Why Derek, if you had wanted to straddle me, you could have just asked." Derek's eyes narrowed as Hyde's widened in mock innocence.

Derek clicked his tongue as he turned his head away from Hyde. As if perhaps turning away from him would cause his jokes to cease fire, though as he turned his eyes locked Isaiah's panicked blues. His eyes widened and body stood in a tensed, hasty manner.

Though his sudden movements tripped him as his feet caught and he fell back down, right on top of Hyde.

A muffled laughter escaped Michael's throat as Derek struggled on top of Hyde, attempting to pull away yet his legs entwined with Hyde's and managed to trap him even tighter against Hyde.

It was quite a humorous sight. A cussing Derek locked against a chuckling Hyde as Michael stood beside them looking seconds from collapsing in laughter as his hand fell from his mouth and tears ran down his face. Isaiah seemed dumb stricken, unsure of how to react as his mouth fell open. Alastair remained composed, though circling his eyes were a very visible trace of humor.