Chapter 63- Third Wheel

"If you're going to make me the third wheel on the sidewalk at least let me stand in front so I can pretend I'm leading my army into battle."

Chapter 63

Third Wheel

Luna's POV

His warm breath fanned my face as he spoke. His hands wrapped around mine, pinning me to the bed as his eyes locked with mine.

"Yes?" My voice heightened in confusion.

Alastair's eyes flashed, mouth pulling into a straight line.

"River...River is there?" His words were slow, voice slipping an ounce of vulnerability.

"I never left, love," River spoke softly.

I nodded.

Alastair's brows pulled, "what is he saying?"

"I never left, love," I repeated.

Alastair swallowed, Adam's apple bobbing in his throat as he took a long exhale. One hand pulled from mine, reaching to brush lightly against my cheek.

"You did," Alastair's voice shook, "I thought...I thought you were gone."

"Never. Together forever, remember? You're stuck with me." I repeated River's words as they flowed through my mind.

Alastair choked a laugh, his lips tugged up momentarily only to fall moments later to lifted himself up to his knees. His fingers unhooked from mine and instead took to wrapping around my waist and lifting me to my knees as well.

"Why can't I talk to you normally?" Alastair's eyes narrowed, "what's happening?"

"I'm not sure...Luna would know better than I would."

I repeated River's words and to this, Alastair nodded and peered at me, waiting with crossed arms.

My eyes dropped to the bed, I wasn't quite sure what to say. I knew why but I was afraid how Alastair would react. He surely wouldn't be pleased.

"Well?" Alastair sighed.

I swallowed nervously, peeking up a look at him. He raised a brow.

"I-I," I took a breath, "I'm sorry," I choked out as tears began to build in my eyes.

Goddess, why was this body so prone to crying?

"Sorry," River mumbled.

"It's okay, Luna. Whatever it is. It's okay," Alastair tried to sooth me, his hand reaching over to pet my head.

My eyes widened and head shot up.

He used my name.

I could barely breathe. He didn't speak condescendingly to me. He wasn't referring to me as an object. He actually spoke my name.

Alastair's gentle touch stopped, his fingers beginning to pull away, "am I scaring you again?" His eyes softened in my gaze.

My head shook on its own, no words escaping.

His lips pulled into a small smile, "so what was the reason? I won't be upset."

I took a deep breath, "at first, I wasn't sure. I was...I was going crazy. My mind was buzzing and my instincts were shouting. I thought there was danger. That maybe River had hurt himself again. Before I could even understand what was happening, I was shifting..." I trailed off as I gazed up at Alastair. His face remained natural so I continued, "I felt so hot. There was...there was so much pain," I choked, "I could barely stand on my own feet."