Chapter 16

"Light shines best against the dark. And the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows. So let's face it, I can't exist without you." -Harry

Bella's POV:

I held Layla tightly in my arms, stroking her hair as she slept on my chest. She fell asleep about thirty minutes ago after crying for so long about Harry getting taken away. When I finally told her that I had pleaded for his life and it was spared, she was finally able to calm down.

Phillipa told me what she actually did, and it blew my mind. I never would've thought she would orchestrate this type of scheme just to get Harry and I on better terms with one another.

I honestly didn't expect to act so rashly about it either. My own actions surprised me as well. As soon as I saw Harry go out of sight I became frantic. Layla was crying so much and it was all I could do just to get Wesly to let go of me and hold her tightly. 

I was basically begging Phillipa to not kill Harry. I was down on my knees begging her, face pressed against the ground in the lowest bow I'd ever given to anyone, and I didn't remember crying, but somewhere in that time period I apparently began to sob, because a short while after I began to beg I couldn't breathe and all I could feel was the wetness of my cheeks.

Now that I think about my actions, it's almost shameful to me. I was so quick to just throw myself down at someone's feet in order to beg for Harry's life...even after all he did to me. I don't know if that's pathetic on my part or if it just shows my strength.

Harry was taking this hard as well. Seeing him cry like that was something I could hardly bear. He was broken before me, just sobbing and holding himself together as if he were going to just shatter at any given moment. 

I wonder if this really changed him?

Either way, I'd get my answer soon enough. He's going to be joining us for dinner. It's going to be a little awkward, but I don't know what else to do. 

He may end up taking my offer of information for the band of rogues I found out about and just leave in a heartbeat. Although another part of me wishes so desperately that he would stay and that we could actually begin to start over from this. I don't know how it was possible, but after this...I believe anything is possible.

"Bella?" 

I look up at the sound of my name, seeing Shayla giving me a small smile. "You were really thinking. Sorry to interrupt your train of thought, but Phillipa is requesting us." she says and I blink a few times, processing her words before I nod, a smile forcing it's way on my face.

"Okay. Where are we going?" I ask and she scratches the back of her neck nervously. "Well...dinner." she says and my eyes widen.

"What?" I ask confused and she nods. "Well, we did get here around noon, since it takes awhile to get from the shore to the palace. And then hours went by with this fiasco, so...it's already past six." she explains and I put a hand on my forehead, careful not to wake Layla.

"That's right." I say tiredly, not realizing how much has happened in such a short amount of time. It all happened so quickly that I hadn't thought much time had gone by, but when Shayla laid it out for me it made me feel exhausted. 

"Layla?" I murmur, gently stirring my sleeping child, seeing her squint her eyes as she began to stir, slowly moving on my lap as her sleepy eyes looked up at me. "It's time for dinner sweetheart. We're all going to go eat." I say and she slowly nods her head, blinking a few times to process what I actually said.

"Is Daddy okay?" She asks and I slowly smile. "Of course. He'll be with us tonight." I answer and a sluggish smile comes to her face. "Good." she says and I hug her tight, setting her on her feet before I stood up, taking her hand in mine as I faced Shayla.