Chapter 49

Isabella's POV:

A week or so after Shayla's funeral, I was finally able to walk on my own. Hunter congratulated me on my progress, and I would smile brightly to him as I walked out of the infirmary.

But that smile was a farce.

I haven't hardly slept in days. 

My mind is filled with nightmares, and every time I try to sleep, I always wake up dripping sweat, my body shaking as tears run down my face. Every time I think of what Caius did to me, all his words running through my head, the pain I felt, the hopelessness I had...it was too much.

Thinking of Shayla and seeing her death play back over and over in my head was a nightmare in and of itself. Seeing Harry being pierced by that blow...seeing all those dead bodies on the shore, blood everywhere. Knowing I killed so many people, their dead faces haunting my dreams.

It was horrible.

"Miss?" I turn towards Lloyd as he calls me, standing in the doorway of my room. I give him a smile and beckon him in. 

"What is it, Lloyd?" I ask and he gives me a sad smile. 

"You don't have to pretend with me, Miss. I know you're still hurting," he says and I open my mouth to say something, but sigh and look at him again. "The doctor wants to see you." Lloyd continues and I raise an eyebrow confused.

"What for? I just had my visit with him." I say and Lloyd grabs my hand and lifts me to my feet, trying to hide the smile on his face.

"I think you'll enjoy it." he says and I furrow my eyebrows down, but say no more as I follow Lloyd out of my room. 

Layla was jumping up and down, looking a little anxious as she stands by a door. Once she sees Lloyd and I, a smile comes to her face and she runs over to us. 

"Can we go in now?" she begs Lloyd and he laughs, taking one of her outstretched hands and nodding to her.

"Yes," he says, Layla taking my other hand as we walk back to the door she was standing at. Lloyd looks back at me and gives me a warm smile. "It would seem he's awake." he tells me and my eyes widen. My pace picks up, matching Layla's excited pace as we go to the door, Lloyd opening it before letting us go in first.

On a bed, covered in bandages, was a very, very much alive Harry.

"Harry," I breathe, running over to his bedside, not noticing the doctor standing on the other side. "You're okay." My voice quivers as I speak and Harry shifts his eyes over towards me, a lazy smile coming to his face.

"That's a bit of an overstatement." he jokes and happy tears come to my eyes. A smile comes to my face as he looks at me and I nod my head to him, agreeing with what he said. 

"Daddy!" Layla says, getting up on the bed, but very careful not to touch his body. Her smile was bright as she beamed at him, just as ecstatic as I was that he was awake. 

"Hey, little brat." Harry muses, weakly holding a hand up so Layla could take it. "I'm glad you're all safe." Harry breathes and I put a hand on his shoulder lightly.

"It's all because of you." I say and he laughs, but winces after he does so.

"Careful, Harry. You still haven't recovered." Hunter warns and Harry grumbles under his breath. Turning towards me, Hunter gives me a sigh.

"Your husband doesn't understand how to stay still and let himself heal." he says distressed and I can't help but smile. "But then again, you're the same way." Hunter continues on, obviously annoyed by the pairing of us.