25. "Only Two Weeks Left"

Chapter 25 – "Only Two Weeks Left"

What is he doing here?

"Who was the door?" Nan asked coming out of the kitchen.

I chuckled nervously. "Oh just no one." I said continuing to lean against the door, hoping he wouldn't break the door open.

Nan looks at me suspiously, I almost sighed in relief when she was about to walk away. But she stopped when Carter knocked on the door again.

I let out a frustrated sigh. "Tori open the door; I need to speak to you."

I look at Nan sheepishly as she walked towards me. "I may be old, but I definitely know what kids are like these days." She continues. "Come on let me answer the door." I sighed giving up; she wouldn't listen to me, no doubt.

Nan answered the door and I immediately put my hand over my mouth, my eyes and Carter's eyes were wide open. Nan put her hand on her forehead; I can't believe Carter knocked on my Nan's forehead.

"Shit," he muttered under his breath. "I am very sorry Mrs..."

Nan shook her head. "It's fine, just a silly mistake." I look at Nan blankly, how is she fine with Carter hitting her on the forehead not too long ago? I know I definitely wasn't. "Mrs Stevens, but call me Rose."

"Nan," why is she being nice to him?

"Why don't you come in dear," 'oh my god' I mouthed looking the other way because all I could see was Carter smirking, of course enjoying my discomfort.

"No Nan, he has to go, right Carter?"

"So your name is Carter?"

"Yes Mrs Stevens, I mean Rose." They both laugh, am I missing something?

"Well why don't you come in and tell me how you and Tori know each other. I made cookies, freshly made."

I shoot glares at him, he notices and smiles. "I'd love too, and I love cookies."

"Great! I'll just take out the cookies." Nan left, I quickly stepped in front of Carter.

"What are you doing here?" I half whispered and half yelled.

He smiled and stepped inside ignoring my question, as always.

My eyes focused on something else that he was holding. "Woah, what is that?"

"It's called a bag." He said like he was talking to a child.

I rolled my eyes. "I know what it is, but what is it doing here?"

He opened his mouth to speak but he got cut off by Nan entering the room.

"Oh Carter, you're staying?" I smiled crossing my arms over my chest.

Yes Nan, tell him he can't stay here.

"I hope that's okay, Mrs Stevens." I roll my eyes at his sudden sweet boy act.

I know my Nan, she wouldn't let him stay. This was one of her house rules: no boys allowed.

"Of course that's fine!" Nan smiled brightly.

My smile disappeared. "Nan, what are you saying?" she looks at me with confusion written over her face, I look behind me and see him smiling. "Urr... I mean, where is he going to sleep?"

"We'll figure that out later," why doesn't the ground just swallow me up? "Tori, why don't you show Carter your room so he can keep his stuff there," I really don't have a say in this, do I?