10. "I'm here if you need me"

Chapter 10

“Miss Pennington, what is the answer to question number eight?” Mr spy asked, I blinked registering what was happening.

Damn it, I was thinking too hard about what Carter had told me. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, it was bugging me all week.

“I-I don’t know.” I said back, which caused some people to laugh. My cheeks went red as everyone was laughing and looking at me.

“Well then, you should be paying more attention.” Mr Spy said in a stern voice, which made me roll my eyes when he turned around.

I looked up at the clock waiting for this lesson to go past quickly, just 15 minutes left.

Ever since Carter told me what he had found out about his mom. He hasn’t been showing up at school for nearly 2 weeks, I would sometimes see Val at the supermarket and ask him if Carter’s alright, but he said that he hasn’t been in contact with him for a week. Why is Carter ignoring me? Why isn’t he here? Is it because of what he told me?

Should I call him?

I shook my head mentally, no I shouldn’t. Or maybe I should? I don’t have a clue I’m having two sided argument and this is getting too much for me.

I guess I’ll just wait and ask Serena what she thinks about this. I sighed resting my chin on my hand.

***

“You should call him.” Serena spoke, we both sat at the common room area waiting for Charlie to show up.

I shrugged. “Even if I did, he wouldn’t answer me back. You know how he is.”

“True, but you never know unless you try. Now call him once you get home, who knows what he’s up to.  I asked Val he doesn’t seem to know either.” Val doesn’t know either? But there best friends he’s supposed to know where he goes and what he does.

I licked my lips as I shrugged. “Well I don’t care,” I was bluffing.  Of course I cared, I mean Carter is someone I still cared about.

“Hey guys,” Charlie said cheerfully as he came and took a seat next to me.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him behaviour as I turned to Serena and she shrugged in response, I turned back to Charlie. “What are you happy about?”

“Ava’s, giving me the eye.” I raised one eyebrow.

I looked at Serena as she looked clueless. “What does that mean?”

Charlie sighed. “It means that the leader of the cheerleading squad is giving the looks,” he said smiling.

“Probably just giving you looks because you smell.” Serena mumbled of saying, I chuckled and slapped her on the arm as Charlie glared at her.

Not again!

“Oh come on! Ava is giving me the looks, she wants me. I can tell,” he said grinning like an idiot. “Speaking of relationships, what’s with you and Carter. I heard that he recently beat up his kid near where I live, and he was on rage. People said that he’s never seen him that before, I feel sorry for that kid he was only 16 and he was bruised really badly, and he now has a broken arm.” What the hell did you do Carter?  Panick expression aroused in me.

Serena also tensed up, I leaned of from the couch. “He punched someone?” I asked.

I was hoping Charlie would say that Carter didn’t punch that guy to hard, but I would definitely know what the answer Charlie would say, but then again I still asked him.