Chapter 5: 'You have the nerve to show up here.'

Party. Party. Party. Party. The words kept repeating themselves in my head, causing me to nearly over pour the milk into my cereal. I'm nervous and excited at the same time, if that's possible. But the nerves are overriding the excitement. Realizing that I probably filled the bowl with enough milk, I quickly halted. Good thing I snapped out of the trance and put the milk away. I dropped a spoon into my cereal and sat down on a stool. My mother had left earlier and my father sleeps in on Saturday evenings. He gets up about 20 minutes before I leave. I’m leaving in a half hour and I can hear him clanking around upstairs.

So today, my plans are to go to work, get my Halloween costume after work, and then come home to get dressed for whatever party Lola and Sandra are dragging me to. My father came down the stairs as I filled my mind with excuses I could use as to why I can’t attend the party. If I'm nervous, it's for a reason, right? I'm not just nervous just because I want to be nervous, right? It's a sixth sense. Something bad will happen if I go.

My mother said I can’t go the party. No, they all know about my mother’s enthusiastic responses when it comes to her only daughter socializing with beings her own age.

My father said I can’t go to the party because I have to clean my room. This wouldn’t work either, they all know about how I always have my room clean.

My mother was ripped apart by rabid wolves and I have to go to the hospital to help stitch her back together. Even I was disturbed by my own mind. I shook my head as my father sat down across from me, a bowl of cereal in front of him.

“Hey, are you going to work today?” my father asked me and I nodded as I finished up the bowl of Frosted Flakes. They’re great!

I walked over to the sink and placed the bowl inside of it. “Don’t I always?”

My father laughed. “You’re more enthusiastic about work than I am.”

I smiled. “You have a lot more responsibility than I do. Besides, all I have to do today is help out the little angels.”

“You’re the girl scout helper?” my father questioned. 

“Yes, and I’m a proud one,” I replied as I rinsed my hands. I wiped them on the towel before grabbing my bag off of the table. My father sighed and shook his head. “I’ll be home later, if mom calls, tell her to call me, it’s important.”

I kissed my father’s cheek. “What? You can’t talk to me about whatever is troubling you?”

I laughed as I walked towards the door. “It’s girl stuff.”

“I’ll tell your mother!” my father hastily stated and I laughed.

---

When I got to the library, the girls scouts weren’t there yet. I always go to work early. I arrived at 11:30 AM, ready to prepare for the girl scouts arrival. When I entered the library, I heard music blasting. Although the library doesn’t open for lone revisers until 3:30 PM, we still try and keep it quiet in here. It is a library, you know.

I groaned loudly but it was drowned out by the sound of the music. Music means that Grayson was here. I recognized the song, I love it but that doesn’t mean I play it in libraries. I watched in amusement as Grayson danced around. He pretended to play a guitar before he switched to the drums. He bounced around like a hyperactive three year old child. I walked over to his phone, the music distributor, and pressed the pause button. He stopped mid strum and turned to look at me. His frown turned into a glare. “Practicing your ballet, I see.”