Chapter 21: Grounded

Chapter 21

Sunday was quiet and I was happy. I told Sandra and Lola about Grayson and our kiss and I prayed that Grayson didn’t tell his friends; they’d make things awkward between us- especially Carson and Shane. I even told Sebastian, who congratulated me on the amount of progress I made. I doubt he has a crush on me because I know if I was in his shoes, hearing about how Grayson and Natalie kissed- I wouldn’t be congratulating anybody. I wasn’t excited about going to school Monday, though, because I’d have to face Grayson in Pre-Calculus, lunch, and Home Economics. That means I’d have to talk to him and I can’t smile like an idiot while doing so- or at any time of the day because then he'd make fun of me. He'd probably say something stupid about my crush on him, which I'm almost positive he knows about, or he'd insult me about my terrible kissing skills.

I entered the Pre-Calculus class as soon as the bell rang and sat down. Samantha smiled at me, nodding towards Grayson’s seat, which was empty. “I heard about what happened.”

I bit my lip and nodded. Sebastian had asked if he could tell her. “Yeah.”

She snorted, shaking her head. “So my plan kind of worked, huh?”

I let out a shaky breath, laughing lightly. “Yeah, it did.”

The moment the late bell rang, Grayson slipped into the classroom, earning a set of narrowed eyes in his direction from Mrs. G. He held up his hands as if claiming innocence and she pointed to his seat, where Natalie was eagerly waiting for his arrival. He glanced back at me and smirked while I struggled to hold back a squeal that was threatening to exit my mouth.

During the class, I occasionally glanced up and saw Natalie glaring at me. I furrowed my eyebrows, smirking slightly. Somebody’s jealous. When the bell rang, I gingerly stood up and placed my items into my bag at a slow pace and exited the classroom. Grayson was long gone but Natalie decided to stick around, surprisingly.

“Did you two kiss or something?” she snapped.

I furrowed my eyebrows, tilting my head to the side. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“I told you to stay away from him.” She glared at me before walking in the opposite direction. I snorted and made my way to Creative Writing, a class where she’s supposed to be. As I sat down, the bell rang, and then the late bell rang; I realized that she wasn’t coming to class.

~~~

When the bell that officially ended third period rang, I quickly stood up and exited AP US Government and Politics and headed in the direction of my locker. I realized about a week ago that the walk from AP US Gov. and Politics to my locker allows me to pass by Grayson’s third period class. I can usually watch as he walks to lunch; that’s if I’m quick to get out of my class and down the long hall.

Today I was lucky, he was running late. He exited the classroom the minute I was passing by and I pretended not to see him. “Darling!”

I turned around, surprised that he called me by my nickname in such a public area. A few people looked at us with furrowed eyebrows but most of them were keen on getting to lunch. “Yeah?”

“W-where are you going?” he asked stupidly before realizing what he said. It was lunch time; I’m going to fight the dragons in the janitor’s closet, Grayson.

“I’m actually going to my locker,” I told him as I stopped in front of my yellow locker. As I was unlocking it and shuffling through it, Grayson waited beside me and I was grateful.

“Hey! Audrey!” My head snapped in the direction of the annoying voice.

“Oh gosh,” I muttered as I turned and looked at her, my eyebrows furrowing. “What?”