Chapter 16: The Bird

Chapter 16

I groaned into my pillow, the memories of last night replaying in my head. After slamming the door in his face, hearing a smack as it connected with his cheek, and walking upstairs, I went straight to bed, not even bothering to change out of my costume. I looked in the mirror and saw my smudged makeup and I looked at my pillow to see it everywhere. My mascara was smudged too, but not from crying, from sleeping face down.

I walked into the bathroom and showered, scrubbing at my face to try and get the smudged makeup off. I slipped into my uniform and sat on my bed. There was no way I was going to survive today, especially if I had to work afterwards, too. I would have to get back at Grayson but without making it obvious, because if I made it too obvious- he’d know I like him, if that isn’t obvious enough already.

~~~

I was walking to pre-calculus when someone called my name. I groaned before turning around, regretting my decision immediately. I glanced around, noticing that Natalie and I were the only ones in the hallway. I can kill her without any witnesses. I was curious as to why she was even upstairs at this time. I was early, as in fifteen minutes early, and nobody came upstairs at that time unless they need extra help, which I’m sure she doesn't need.

“Yes?” I asked, my voice sounding strained. After what Grayson said, I don’t want to talk to her or him, or anyone for the matter, not even my two best friends.

She smiled at me. “I hope you’re okay with me walking with you.”

I shrugged, biting back a slick retort. “Yeah, it’s fine. We have first period together, anyway.”

I think that’s going to be the longest answer I’m going to provide. She giggled. “I just wanted to say that I’m glad we’re friends. And since we’re friends, I have to tell you something.”

I held back a sigh. We aren’t friends. “What is it?”

She smiled sheepishly as she glanced at the floor. “I like Grayson. I told Sandra and Lola earlier and I didn’t have your number so I couldn’t text you. I didn’t want you to feel out of loop, I know how bad that is.”

She frowned as if replaying old memories in her head. While she reminisced in her head, I planned her murder in my head. I wonder how long I’d be locked away for premeditated manslaughter. I gripped my bag tightly; afraid that I’d throttle her if my hands were free. I was no competition. If she wanted Grayson, which she did, she can easily have him. She wasn't completed ignored by him as a child, even though she really wanted to be his friend. She wanted to be his friend and now she is. As we speak, she's working her way up to the next spot: His girlfriend. I just curtly nodded.

She smiled at me. “Now, you’re in the loop! Well, I have to go! Grayson promised to meet me in the cafeteria so we can walk to class together.” Squealing, she turned on her heel and walked down the hallway.

I stood there, staring at her retreating figure as rage boiled in my system. Placing both of my middle fingers up, I began pointing them at her as I danced around, wiggling my arms as I signaled my hatred for her with the one finger salute. “Are you going to shout ‘Avada Kedavra’ or shall I?”

I whipped around to see Samantha poised with a smirk on her face. “Why do you hate her so much?”

I let out a sigh. “She likes the same guy that I do.”

“That guy that she sits next to in pre-calculus?” she asked. She furrowed her eyebrows and I nodded, surprised that she even remembered.

“That’s the one," I muttered.