Chapter 20: Saturdays

Dedicated to Coloursplatterer for her amazing idea (having to do with the dance.)

Chapter 20: Saturdays

It was quiet, too quiet. Although this line may be overused, when I say it- it’s true. My house is rarely quiet, unless my parents aren’t home. But then it’s still not quiet, I usually play music to fill in for their incessant chatter. Creeping downstairs, I saw a note from my mom.

Audrey,

Went out to lunch with Emily and a few of the girls I work with. Your father’s at work; he picked up a shift today. Ms. Janie called earlier, the girl scouts can’t make it to the library- sorry for not waking you; I didn’t think it was too important. I love you and do the dishes.

-Mom

Placing the note back down, I frowned. I hate being alone in my house, unlike most teenagers. Glancing at the clock, I did a double take when I realized that it was almost two in the afternoon. I rubbed my face before walking over to the sink, turning on the water and starting on the dishes.

About an hour and a shower later, I was seated on the couch, halfheartedly watching a movie about an alien apocalypse when the door rang. I groaned as I sat up, putting the remote on the couch beside me. Swinging open the door, I furrowed my eyebrows when I saw Sandra and Lola standing there.

“What?” I asked as I opened the door further, allowing the girl’s to enter my house. I noticed them lugging bags behind them and I groaned again. This can’t be good. “What’s in the bags?”

“Didn’t you hear? Oh my gosh, you weren’t answering our texts- of course you didn’t hear! Angelica Sanders is throwing a party tonight!” I shrugged as Lola blabbed on. Last time Angelica Sanders threw a party, it wasn’t anything special. It was in her medium sized house and people were drunk even though they were underage- the usual house party. The police came and busted it; the girls and I were already driving off down the street. Thankfully, I didn't drink.

“Her father owns that new club in the downtown area. He’s away on business. Her mother is with him. They gave her permission to throw a party!” Sandra squealed.

I stood there, my mouth slightly open as my eyebrows furrowed together. “What? Why would they do that? Do they know their daughter? This doesn’t sound right; are you sure this isn’t some kind of trap?”

“What is this, the FBI?” Lola snorted. “Besides, her uncle is the co-owner and he will be there to make sure things don’t get too out of control. There won’t be alcohol, well, people will probably manage to sneak it in but I don’t care! I don’t plan on drinking anyway!”

I rolled my eyes. “You guys can’t be serious about wanting to go.”

They motioned to their bags. “Yeah, and we want you to go!”

I shook my head. “No, I’m not going. Definitely not!’

“We already told you that it’s safe!” they informed me.

I shrugged. “I don’t care about that. I don’t want to go out tonight.” To be honest, I was a little crushed about the fact that Grayson didn’t mean anything by almost kissing me. I wonder how much of a fool he thinks I am. He’s probably guffawing with Shane, Carson, and Kyle right now.

“What happened to you?” Sandra snorted. “Your face just twisted like you’d been hit with a frying pan.”

I sighed, shaking my head. “It’s nothing.”

“It’s obviously something. How about we talk about it while you help us get ready?” Leaving me no time to argue, she grabbed my arm and yanked me up the stairs, questioning my parent’s absence.