Chapter 12: Bummed about her...

When I got to Lola’s house, Sandra was parking her car. We walked up to Lola’s door together and we were greeted by her older brother, Gregory. “Audrey! Sandra!”

We smiled at him. “Greg!”

He opened the door for us to enter and we followed him up the stairs. “How’s high school?”

I sighed. “Boring, I hate it.”

“It’s okay, I can’t wait to graduate,” Sandra explained.

Greg laughed. “You’ll love college. The parties are amazing; ramen noodles are also amazing, and it’s just a fun experience so far.”

We giggled and walked towards Lola’s room. I was grinning goofily and Sandra looked no different. Lola opened her door and rolled her eyes, yanking us inside of the room. “What did I say about talking to my brother?”

We smiled shyly at her and she rolled her eyes again before taking our bags from us. She took the dresses out and placed them on her bed, including our masks. She put the shoe boxes beside the dresses. “Your mom let you off of the hook?”

I shrugged. “Yeah, if my father asks- I’m here working on an assignment.”

I ran my hand through my damp hair. “My hair still isn’t dry from my shower.”

“We can always blow dry it,” she replied casually before reaching for the blow drier and plugging it into the outlet.

I grabbed it and began running it along my hair, slowly drying it. Once I finished, I picked up a straightener but Lola shook her head. “You’re curling your hair.”

“But my hair is already wavy and frizzy.” I frowned as I lifted a chunk of my dark brown curls. She shook her head and walked behind me.

“While you guys were dawdling around doing whatever you were doing today, I did my own hair so I cut time in half. I can do your hair now,” she told me as she plugged in her curling iron.

Sandra was staring at her dress, her lips pursed. “I’m not sure if I like my dress anymore,” she picked up the gold top half before dropping it against the bed.

“Well, we don’t have time to get a new one. Just wear it; you look gorgeous in it anyway,” Lola explained as she grabbed a tress of my hair and twisted it into the curling iron. I sat patiently in the chair she’d set up prior to our arrival.

Sandra frowned before reaching in her bag and grabbing her makeup kit. Sandra was a makeup wiz and Lola was a hair magician. I was…well, good at reading. I frowned slightly when I realized I had no girly specialty. Instead of dwelling on that upsetting fact, I watched in the mirror as Lola did my hair.

Once she finished, she sprayed it with hair spray and told me to stay where I was until my curls weren’t in any danger. I rolled my eyes and did as I was told. Once Sandra finished doing her makeup, she turned to me. “Do you want me to do your makeup?”

“Sure, it’s not like I can do my own makeup without it looking like a three year old found a crayon,” Sandra rolled her eyes at my comment. She knew it was true. I was terrible at applying makeup. That’s why I rarely did it. I can put on eyeliner and mascara but if you hand me eye shadow, I don’t know where it can go up to- whether your eyebrow is the limit or a centimeter below. Don’t even get me started on blush; making the two sides look evenly layered is impossible.

I watched as Sandra wiped her small brush in black eye shadow before I had to close my eyes.  She began lightly dabbing it across my lid and slowly smearing it. She told me not to open my eyes or I’ll ruin them. I sighed, finally realizing that I am a destructive creature. Both of the girls don’t trust me with makeup or hair. “Stay still, I’m putting your mascara on.” She told me as she lightly brushed my eyelashes with mascara.