Chapter 8: Darkness

Chapter 8: Darkness

I finally came to the conclusion that the drink Shane gave me earlier was drugged. That’s the only possible conclusion! The thought had to be forcefully shoved out of my mind; I realized that the thought itself was inane! How could I, Audrey Peters, like Grayson Carter? I laughed at the mere thought.

I was awkwardly pushing and shoving my way through the crowd, trying to get people to move but it was proved to be harder than it seemed. Once I reached the kitchen, I grabbed a can of soda that I stored in the back of the fridge, away from drunken people’s sloppy hands. I seated myself on the counter while people wandered around the house, some dancing in the living room while others wander about upstairs.

“What are you doing in here, Audrey?” I looked up to see Carson standing there with a bag of chips attached to his hand.

I shrugged. “I’m not much of a dancer.” I motioned in the direction of the living room, where everyone was dancing.

Carson nodded slowly, looking at me. “You’re not a good liar either.”

I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked at him. “What?”

“You’re jealous, aren’t you?” he suggested.

I furrowed my eyebrows. “Of what?”

He grabbed my arm and yanked me off of the counter. He leaned out of the kitchen, taking me with him. He nodded his head towards Grayson who was dancing with the girl from earlier. I snorted. “No, not really.”

“So you wouldn’t be jealous if he started intensely making out with her right there?” Carson questioned.

“Jealous? No. Mentally disturbed? Yes,” I replied as I got back onto the counter.

Carson laughed. “So…is he a good kisser?”

I glared at him. He and his brother have been harassing me about my kiss with Grayson all night. “I don’t know, why don’t you go find out yourself?”

He laughed. “I would but…I’m not into guys.”

“You had me fooled,” I muttered.

Carson laughed again. “You know, you’re really funny.”

“I’m not sure if that was sarcastic or not…so I’ll just say thanks anyway,” I replied as I rested my back against the orange walls of the kitchen. He smiled in response.

“I don’t know…am I being sarcastic?” he inquired, wiggling his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes.

“I don’t know what Sandra-paper, sandpaper towels,” I quickly attempted to cover up my mistake. I didn’t say it was a good cover up.

“Come again?” he asked me. “Did you say something about…Sandra?”

I shook my head. “Psh, no… I said sandpaper.”

Carson nodded. “Nice save.”

“I’d like to think so,” I muttered.

“Why don’t you come out there?” he asked. His voice was cheerful as he smiled at me convincingly.

I frowned and shrugged. “I don’t think I should.”

“Why not?” he questioned before smirking. “You’ll burn with jealousy?”

I groaned. “I’m not jealous!”

He nodded his head. “Yelling about not being jealous is totally helping your case.”

I quickly got off of the counter and walked out of the kitchen, Carson slowly following after me. I reached Sandra, who was casually seated on the couch, watching Kyle and Lola dance. I slumped down beside her, a smile on my face. “How are things?”