-1-

Brooklyn POV

I spin around in the large desk chair.

"There's nothing to do," my best friend April complains.

April is 16 years old, making her two years older than me. We go to the same high school but she's a junior and I'm a freshman.

Unlike me, April is an introvert. April is that sweet nerd that you'll always find buried into some book, most likely the Harry Potter series. She's shy at first but around me, she's insane.

Without her, I'd probably be in jail. Okay maybe not jail, but I'd be in trouble. I'm the reckless one you'll find going out to do something different each day.

That's what makes us such great friends. She keeps me alive and out of trouble and I make sure she has fun every now and then.

We only get to hang out so much because both of our dads are lawyers. Everyday after school we go to their workplace.

Today the place was more boring than usual. It's a lawyers office, we have to keep our voices to somewhat of a minimal volume.

Mrs. Betty, the front desk lady here is on vacation. That means she's not here to lighten the mood.

The office is calm, too calm.

"I know right," I reply to April, stopping the chair from spinning.

An idea pops into my head, "Wait, what if we did some prank calls?"

"Brooklyn, you're brilliant."

We pull out our phones and go to dial a number.

"Who should we call?" April asks.

"Just a random number. That way we don't have to block our Caller ID."

"Good idea, I think. What do we say?"

"Not sure."

We both start brainstorming ideas. April then perks up and shakes my shoulder.

"I have the best idea!"

"Okay what?"

"We call two random numbers, put them on speaker next to each other, and don't say a word. They'll be so confused!"

"That's a great idea!"

We both dial some random numbers and put our phones on speaker. The person April dialed picks up first.

"Hello?"

The voice sounds like a boy around our age. My number picks up.

"Hi, who is this?"

Also sounds like a teenage boy.

"Why does your voice sound so familiar?"

"Yours too..."

Wait what's happening?

"Wait a minute. Hunter?"

"Nathan?"

I look at April. She has the same shocked expression plastered on her face as me. The two people we called know each other?

"Hunter! I didn't know you changed your number."

"I didn't, did you?"

"No. But then how are we talking?"