-30-

April POV

Jonah lets us borrow his car, and Mario drives us to the police station.

Mario turns to look at me as he pulls into a parking stall, "You ready to do this?"

"I think so," I sigh.

He hops out of the car, and before I can open my door, Mario gets it for me.

"Thank you," I smile.

He returns the gesture, "No problem."

Walking through the glass doors, we're greeted by a lady at the front desk.

"Hello, how may I help you two?" she says, I sweet smile plastered on her face. She almost reminded me of Mrs. Betty back at the lawfirm in New York: I miss Mrs. Betty, she always knew how to lighten the mood; she would've been perfect at a time like this.

"We were wondering if we could speak to the officer who brought in a girl named Brooklyn West," I reply.

She types something into her computer and says, "Wait here. I'll go get Officer Johnson."

Mario thanks her, and she leaves her desk to find this officer. I discuss our gameplan with Mario as we wait.

"Hey, I'm Officer Johnson, and you are?" an officer who looks much younger than everyone else in the department asks.

"I'm Mario, and this is April. We were wondering if you could provide some details on the whole situation with our friend, Brooklyn West."

Officer Johnson crosses his arms, "It depends. What information are you looking for."

"Anything and everything pertaining to the case," I tell him.

"I'm afraid I can't give you that information."

"Officer Johnson," I step forward, "I'm sure your policy doesn't allow you to give out case information, but I'm also sure you weren't supposed to give Brook her phone back until after an adult came to pick her up. So, you can give us the information on my best friend, or I can call my dad, who's a lawyer along with Brook's dad, and we can sort out this whole cell phone issue."

The officer sighs in defeat, "Follow me."

"April," Mario starts, "That was amazing."

I lightly laugh, "I guess I know how to get what I want."

Following Officer Johnson into an empty room, we take a seat at a small desk. The young man leaves the room and comes back with a file marked "Brooklyn West: Tresspassing & Breaking In."

She has a whole file on her: This is not okay.

Officer Johnson must have noticed my concern, "Don't worry. This file has nothing on Brooklyn. However, what it does have might interest you."

He flips open the file to a page with the title "EVIDENCE."

"After Brooklyn was released, we had to go to the school to maximize security a little more. In the process, we found evidence that suggests she isn't necessarily to blame," the officer tells us.

Mario and I are on the edge of our seats, waiting for the evidence to be revealed to us.

"Here," Officer Johnson points at some text that clearly states what was found at the scene, "The security cameras were tampered with so that they were aiming directly at Brooklyn and not anywhere near the hallway. In this shot," he pauses to turn to a page that shows photos from the security camera, "You see a bit of a girl with blonde hair. She looks around Brooklyn's age, but we couldn't find any shots of her face. Anyway, she clearly entered from the hallway and turned the security cameras to face Brooklyn. Also, when Brooklyn drops from their entry point, she turns to tell the mystery girl something, so the two weren't stangers."