1

I stepped through the nine and three quarters platform and eyed the whole place. People swarmed around me in clusters as the dark red Hogwarts Express pulled into the station. It let out a long string of cloudy gray steam that twirled around below the ceiling.

My mother stood proud and pristine next to me. My father, who stood on the side opposite my mother, was equally as arrogant. My mother looked distastefully at a piece of used gum stuck to the floor. She held her head up a little higher.

Both my parents were pure blooded monsters. They believed of blood purity and thrived in the knowledge that the dark lord was out there. I had different views, I wanted life to be equal for everyone. It has it's ups and downs but it should be a good life. Despite our opposing views, we always tried to be at least civil to each other.

"It's time, Carina dear." My mother informed me. "Yes ma'am." I hugged my both my parents farewell and turned back to the gleaming black train. I did a quick glance around to see if I could find my friends but I couldn't see anyone I knew well enough to say hello too. I must be early.

I shuffle up to the lowered steps and haul myself up. As I walk around, I finally find an empty compartment at the back. I scramble into it, not wanting it to be taken by someone else. I slide the door closed and put my small messenger bag on the seat beside me as I plop down on the thread bare cushions. I pull a book of fairy tales out of the bag beside me and get comfortable.

A few minutes later I hear the compartment door slide open and a pretty girl with slightly frizzy, sandy blonde hair standing at the door. I automatically recognized her to be my best friend, Paige Abernathy.

She smiles lively at me and says, "Hi, Carina!"

I raise my thick eyebrows at her and smile cheekily. I pat the seat next to me and she hastily sits herself down. "Sweet," she said excitedly. "We can be train buddies," she exclaims jokingly.

I rolled my eyes. "When are you going to let that go?!" I asked with a laugh.

When we had first met on this very train, five years ago, I had embarrassingly said that we could be train buddies. She has never let me forget about it.

Today was the start of our fifth year at hogwarts and we had been best friends since the very first.

Someone knocked on the door, "Hello!" She said peeking in the compartment. It was a girl that I had seen hanging around Lily Evans group. Her name was Ada Salvatori but I had never talked to her.

"Sorry to barge in. My name is Ada Salvatori! Do you mind if I sit here?"

We really didn't need to answer. She was more than likely going to sit here anyways.

Paige smiled at Ada. "Of course! I'm Paige Abernathy and this is Carina Kennedy!"

I smiled up at Ada, she returned the smile as she sat down after taking off the light pink jumper she had been wearing. "By the way, I totally love your sweater Paige, and Carina, your trainers are adorable." she said with a smile.

I had just opened her mouth to thank her when the door slammed opened and there stood James Potter, with his messed up, dark brown hair and wire rim glasses. Sirius Black was right behind him, with his stormy gray eyes and dark hair. Remus Lupin was next, with sandy blonde hair and book in hand. And of course, Peter Pettigrew. The four made up the infamous Marauders.

Sirius smiled at me. "Hey, Care. Oi Paige, still single?" he asked while winking. He sat down by Paige and threw his arm over her shoulders.

"Pffft. Yeah why, you interested?" She shot back at him.

"No particularly. I'm asking for a friend." He said, glancing at Remus. Paige's cheeks grew red and she glared terrifyingly at the long haired boy.

Peter frowned at Ada and asked," Who are you?" As James plopped down on the seat beside me.

Remus came and sat down beside Paige. She did a very good job at hiding a small blush with her medium lengthy hair. Her blue-gray eyes met my chocolate brown ones and I smiled at her knowingly.

I turn to answer Peter after chuckling at the two sitting across from me and said, "This is Ada Salvatori." 

"Kennedy, how was your summer holiday?" James asked me after he had settled in.

"Oh quite boring, I did spend two weeks with Paige but that's about it. What about you Potter? How was your holiday?" I asked in return.

"It was bloody dull. I missed my mates." He replied.

A few hours later all of us had changed into our robes and were chatting when, red headed Lily Evans stopped at our compartment. She caught Ada's glance and smiled.

"Oh, Ada! I was just wondering where you were! Why don't you come hang out with me, Alice, Dorcas, and Marlene?" She asked the dark haired girl. Ada smiled but shook her head.

"No thanks. I'm good right here." Lily's eyebrows shot up and said,"Oh, Thats too bad. Come find us if you change your mind."

She was about to walk out when James cut in.

"Hey! Lily! I'll hang out with you!"
She risked a hateful glance at him and walked out without giving the rest of us a second thought.

"Well then..." James said. But before he could finish I gasp making Sirius look over in alarm and Paige lay a hand on my shoulder.

"What's wrong?"

"Absolutely nothing is wrong! Look its Hogwarts!" I exclaimed, "We're home!"