12

Carina POV.

It had been a week since the Halloween ball and it was nearing the next Hogsmeade trip which was going to be spent with James. The last few days with him had been a dream. We hung out all the time and were closer than ever before.

I woke up this morning with Lily and Paige shaking me awake. I groaned, "What?" They smiled and pulled me up and towards the dresser. I looked around, everyone else was in bed.

"Why did you get me up so early for?!?" I asked now fully awake. Paige rolled her eyes, "Today's Hogsmeade with James!" I rolled my eyes back at her, I really regret telling them about my date. "I know that, but why so early?!?" I asked. Lily laughed, "Isn't it obvious? You have to meet him in an hour and a half and you haven't even picked out an outfit yet!"

I groaned, "Fine, I'm taking a shower, I suppose you two can pick out an outfit for me."

"Yay!" Lily said jumping up and down. I shook my head and got in the shower. I quickly washed and dried myself off. I put on my high waisted bell bottoms and a tank top before walking out.

Lily and Paige were clustered around Paige's bed where several dresses and shirts were laid. I frowned, "I am NOT wearing a dress in the bloody winter!" I exclaimed. Lily rolled her eyes and shoved a rolled up piece of black cloth under my nose.

"Then wear tights!" She said.

"No, I'm not wearing a dress! I hate dresses!" I cried. She sighed, "Fine then at least wear these with whatever you pick out." She said holding up my favorite earrings. They were small dangly pearls.

"Ok that I can do." I said taking them and putting them in my ears. I looked in my one drawer of regular muggle clothes and found a sky blue turtle neck sweater to go with the pants I was already wearing. I finished the look off with a bracelet and my trainers.

"Good enough." I commented while looking in the mirror. I slid on my tan corduroy jacket that was lined with white fluff on the inside. I also threw on a Gryffindor scarf and a toboggan. I put gloves and my wand into a bag along with some money.

"You look great, Carina." Lily said.

"Thank you." I smiled at her, "What will you two be doing today?" I asked the both of them.

"Well I'm going with Ben. I think he's going to ask me to be his girlfriend." She squealed.

I knew I was supposed to be helping James with her but I felt a lightness in my chest and that's when it hit me. I really liked James Potter.

"That's awesome." Paige said.

"Yeah, awesome." I said agreeing with Paige. "I'm really happy for you Lily, you look cute together."

"Thank you two. I need to get ready also. I'll leave you to it. Hope your date goes well Carina." Lily said, a smile bright on her face.

I smiled back and thanked her as me and Paige made it to the stairs.

"Well I'm just hanging out with Ada. Nicole is with Sirius today." Paige answered my previous question.

"Oh, well I hope you two have fun. Maybe we can meet up later." I offered.

"Yeah that sounds good." Paige said smiling and heading back to our dorm.

It was just me now.

I headed the rest of the way down the stairs and smiled when I saw James sitting by the fireplace flipping his wand with his fingers and playing with his hair.

He was so impatient.

"Hey James." I said walking up next to him.

"Oh Carina. You ready to go?" He asked, jumping up from his seat.

"Yeah, sorry if I took long, I got caught up talking to Lily and Paige." I explained as we walked out of the common room.

"No problem, I wasn't waiting long." He said.

We walked in silence for a few minutes. Slowly the tension was growing bigger and I still couldn't think of one thing to say.

"So what do you want to do today?" I asked, finally coming up with something.

"Oh uh, whatever you want to do." He said. We walked again in silence for a few minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.

"Look, I know you want to be with Lily so I understand if you just want to not do this. We should probably call the whole dating thing off." I said, the awkwardness finally making me explode.

"What? No, I think we need to hold off for a few more weeks. This could work. And besides I like hanging out with you." He said, bumping me in the side.

"I have bad news." I saw the worried look in his face instantly, "Lily and that guy she went to the dance with are really hitting it off. She thinks he might ask her out today and well, she really likes him."

"Oh." He said slowly thinking over what I said. "What do you think I should do?" He asked.

"I think, you know it's time to give up on her. You tried your hardest but it's time you move on. She's happy and you're making yourself miserable by holding on to her."

"What about us?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Are we going to stop doing... whatever this is?" He clarified.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say except the truth. "I don't want it to end. In all honesty I think I kinda like you. I know your in love with Lily but I can't help myself."

"Oh." It was his turn to be at a loss of words.

"I'm sorry for dropping all this on you. I'll just go..." I said turning around.

"Wait," he said, grabbing my arm to stop me. "I don't want this to end either. I think I... kinda like you too." He said looking down at me.

"Your just saying that to make me feel better. I don't want to make this awkward, let's just pretend all this never happened." I said.

"No, I do, I really do like you. I never realized it until the dance because my infatuation with Lily never let me see it but, I like you. I'm sorry if I didn't seem genuine." He apologized, pulling my closer and away from the crowd of students.

"Let's go on this date and see how it goes. I think I can prove it to you." He said, more confident now.

"Ok, let's go."