19

It was fairly early one Saturday morning, our  hogsmeade trip was today and all of us were going. We wanted to get last minute candies and treats to last us though Valentine's day which was this week.

It was almost a week later from the "incident" as I called it, and me and Paige were the only ones left in the dorm, I was sorting clothes while she made her bed. I made a split second decision to end our silent streak and talk to her, "Hey Paige" I said slightly cautious. "We haven't talked in forever. How are you?" I asked hoping she would give a good answer.

"Fine," was all she said.

I sighed, frustrated.
"Well, how are your parents?" I asked hoping she would say something. She looked at me like she was hurt.

"They are... fine," she answered. She returned to correcting her pillow cases. Something is wrong with her parents, or maybe Henry, her little brother.

She was done with her pillows and started folding the quilt at the end of her bed. I had moved on to collecting the dirty clothes and putting them on the hamper. She finished her blanket and she turned to walk out.

"Wait! If there is anything you need, I'm here. I'll always be here waiting. We could lock ourselves in the room again and steal ice cream. That was a lot of good fun, it's a shame we only did it twice," I said with a smile on my face, remembering the days from last year.

She looked back and smiled a sad smile, "we would miss Hogsmeade, but thanks for the offer." She turned back around and walked away. She could get so wrapped up in her thoughts sometimes she didn't seem to live properly anymore. I hoped she was okay. I can't do anything but wait, just like I said I would. Always.

Anyways, it was time for the trip. I gathered my jacket and pouch with my money. I put my jacket on and my money in my jacket pocket.

I turned to leave but then I thought of something. If I was doing this what would Paige do? She was a loyal friend. She would demand a honest answer and we would have a heart to heart. She wouldn't let it rest. I decided that's what kind of friend I wanted to be and possibly needed to be. I ran down the stairs before briefly glancing around the room. Not finding her, I jumped through the door and slammed right into someone.

I looked up to see James. "Oh, uh, hey have you seen Paige? It's urgent." I sputtered out. "Yeah, heading towards the library, looked really tired. I don't thin-" i cut him off before he could say anything else. I said a quick thanks and ran to the library.

I flung open the door and searched the room. I found her in the back corner, reading a letter, and crying. I hesitated before kneeling in front of her and wrapping my arms around her. She sobbed and trembled. I held her tighter. We sat like this for a while.

"What's going on? Tell me the truth." I demanded softly.

"My dad..." She whispered before crying a bit more. She sniffed and wiped her eyes. "He sick, Care, really sick. Stage four cancer." She whimpered.

My eyes widened as I let go of her. "Why didn't you tell me? This is big, really big. I'm so sorry that this happened, that I wasn't there. We can get through it."

"You don't understand. He's dying, usually cancer isn't to hard to fix with a magic, but he was to stubborn and waited to long. It has gotten to big. They can't fix him with out damaging most of his lungs. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry. I'm leaving tomorrow to say goodbye and be with my mom and little Henry." She explained.