Chapter One

New Beginnings

"I love being free! Feeling the wind in my face never gets old!" I thought as I ran happily through shrubs, trees, and grass. As I continued to run, I overheard various voices in what seemed to be an argument. I abruptly stopped running and turned my attention to where the voices were coming from. I had to admit, I was curious.

     "Jerk!"

     "Dumb woman!"

     "Stupid idiot!"

     "You're the idiot!"

     "Sit!"

     Thump!

      "What was that for?! Whatever! I'm going to head out for a bit so set up camp, puny humans."

     I heard it go quiet and immediately began walking. "I better get going if I don't want trouble." I stated to myself as I picked up the pace, walking quicker and quicker with each passing second.

      "I knew I smelt something around here, what are you running away from demon?" A silver-haired, red-robed dog demon asked me as I turned around, my ears twitching at his loud voice. He placed his hand on the hilt of his sword, as if readying for battle. I stiffened up and took up a defensive position.

     "None of your business, dog demon. See to your human girlfriend, won't you?" I told him as his ears twitched in return, I got ready to leave. "He's a half-demon, dog demon by the looks it." He looked at me with something close to curiosity, his ears twitching again.

      "Inuyasha's the name, who're you?" Inuyasha asked as he glanced at my ears. At the sign of no hostility, I relaxed and turned towards him. Though I was still on guard, that didn't mean I had to be hostile.

"My name is Y/N." I stated proudly as once again, I turned around to leave. I felt a hand but on my shoulder, which caused me to stop and look at him curiously.

"Wait." He told me, so I did out of intrigue. "What type of demon are ya? You sure aren't a half-demon, you have markings." He asked, so I moved my tail out of hiding and wrapped it around Inuyasha's hand to move it away from my shoulder.

"That should answer your question." I stated with a small grin as I moved my tail around more, almost flaunting it.

"I hope we meet again, Y/N." Inuyasha stated before I began running again, a small smile on my features.

"That was the first time someone didn't attack me on the spot, kind of weird." I thought as I kept running, not looking back.I pondered to myself over whether we would meet again, but I told myself it didn't matter. As long as I could continue to run around and be myself, nothing else mattered.

      After an hour or two of straight running and being carefree, I again heard a couple voices. Though this time it was a small, child-like laugh which caught my attention. Immediately after, an almost squeaky voice assaulted my ears and I flinched involuntarily. "Rin, you insolent girl! Show some respect to your guardian!"

     "Silence, Jaken."

     "Yes, milord! You have my deepest apologies!"

     "Two demons and a human? How strange..." I turned to run once again, even quicker than before. "I better get away from here, even I can sense the tremendous aura one of those demons has hidden. I don't wanna die." I took off walking as to not cause suspicion, but soon took off in a sprint.

     "Look after Rin while I'm gone, Jaken."

     A couple minutes of straight sprinting passed and I quietly sighed in relief, slowing my pace after a little more time.

     "Trying to run are we?" A voice asked me sarcastically as I saw a figure come up beside me.

     "Why would I run? I have no reason to." I countered back with a serious tone while still running, a confident facade plastered on my features.

     "You have guts, little cat." The monotonous voice said again, yet this time with venom. I immediately turned to jump on a tree and put myself in a defensive position.

     "Just leave me be!" I shouted as I faced my pursuer whilst on top of the tree.

  "What is your name? When I slay you, I shall add it to my list of demons I have destroyed effortlessly." The figure asked me as I finally got a good look at him. He was a full-blooded dog demon and I could already see the venom dripping menacingly from his claw.

     I dropped the serious facade and huffed. "Oh hell no, you're the one who started talking to me! What's your name?" I countered back, annoyed. "I was minding my own business, you know."

     "I am Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands." Sesshomaru unsheathed his sword and pointed it at me, ready to kill. "I haven't faced a cat demon in decades, perhaps I am just itching for a battle. How unfortunate for you." I wordlessly got into a position to receive an attack. I knew that if I attacked recklessly, I would be dead.

     Sesshomaru charged towards me effortlessly and I was prepared to dodge and counterattack, but another sword clashed with Sesshomaru's sword and I backed up with surprise.

     "Don't worry, Y/N. I got this bastard!" Inuyasha shouted as he continued to clash against Sesshomaru. "Kagome, stay back! You too, Y/N!" Inuyasha shouted once again as he and Sesshomaru continued to battle.

     I calmly walked towards Kagome once I knew I would not be attacked. "Are you alright, Y/N?" She asked me with a look of concern, I nodded and looked onward at the battle. I sighed.

     "I really thought I would have to fight him, but good thing I didn't need to huh?" I yawned as I sat down against the trunk of a tree. Kagome sat next to me. "How'd you guys know where I was?"

     "Inuyasha came back to camp and made us pack up immediately after setting up, the jerk. He said something about having a bad feeling and made us follow him for awhile and boom! We were here just in time." Kagome yawned and a little fox demon jumped into her arms. "Shippo, say hi to Y/N." Shippo looked at me cautiously and once he noticed I had cat ears, immediately loosened up.

     "Hey Y/N! Nice to meet you!" I shook Shippo's small hand and right after, he snuggled up to Kagome and fell asleep. I quietly chuckled.

     "This'll take awhile so you should probably take a nap. Inuyasha hates his brother with a passion and will take up any opportunity to fight him." Kagome said as she shook her head, I looked at her with visible surprise.

     "They're brothers?"

     "Well, half-brothers."

     I looked away from Kagome onto the other two members of her traveling group. I waved at them both and they waved back, resuming their conversation from earlier. I felt kneading coming from my thigh and spotted a small cat-like demon laying against me. "Hello there." I whispered with a small smile. Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.