Prologue

A/N: Disclaimer: I do not own these characters.

Maya's POV

Another new school. What's going to make this any different then the last 2 schools I've been to the past two years. My mom and I have been on our own for as long as I can remember. My dad left when I was really young and we haven't heard from him since. Last year was different from the year before because I got a taste of heartbreak and from moving I lost my friends. I never want to live in that kind of pain again. I've decided coming to this school would be a fresh start for me. Nobody knows me here. As far as they know is I'm Maya the new girl.

I need to have my guard up this year, I can't let anyone get close like I have in the past. It only ends badly. No hopes, no disappointments, right?

"Mom please tell me this is the last time we're moving?" I look at my mom while carrying boxes up to our new house.

"I told you the other day baby girl, this is the last time. My boss promised." She smiled at me and unlocked the door.

I walked upstairs to my room and sat the boxes down and looked around.

"Well, at least I got a decent view of the city and the park." I smiled to myself.

I walked back outside to finish helping mom unload the car. She had our beds, couch and other furniture delivered here yesterday, so everything was set up, just needed to unpack.

"Um, mom, are you okay if I go unpack my room?" I always worry that I don't help her out as much as I should.

"Go ahead sweetie." She smiled at me.

I walked in my room and started getting my sheets and everything on my bed. I put my hair up in a ponytail because I can already tell, I'm not going to enjoy this. The stress I'm about to ensue from opening these boxes of my past. I grabbed and box and sat it next to me and opened it and of course it's a picture of me and ...him? Yeah, that's what I'm going to call it. I grabbed the nearest book and tossed the picture in there until I'm ready to get rid of it. As I was putting my clothes away I heard my mom talking to someone, must be the neighbors. I went back to what I was doing and about 20 minutes later my mom was at my door.

"What's up?" I looked up at her as I was folding some clothes.

"I just met the neighbors, the Friars. They have a boy your age. Maybe you should hang out with him so there's someone familiar." She crossed her arms and leaned against the door frame.

"I'm okay." I'm trying to pull off that convincing smile that no one could ever pull off. Of course, she sees right through it.

"Maya, you need to let go of what happened and give other people a chance, they may surprise you." She sits next to me and puts her arm around me.

"How can I possibly do that when every time I think I have something good, they just leave, just like that. Either it be friends or a relationship, they have all left. I can't let anyone get close, not this time." I wanted to cry, but I didn't. I stopped crying over this a long time ago.

"Maya, it's okay to have your guard up. Really, it is, but there comes a time when we need to hope the best in people. This is your fresh start, so make the most of it, right?" She's trying so hard to break through because half the time I don't even let her in either. I've always came off as standoffish in that way because I don't like explaining how I feel to people.

"Mom, I'll try, that's all I'm promising." I wasn't lying. I would try. I can try for 10 seconds and if all else fails, I can say at least I tried, but no, I will try, I just don't know how I'll come off to people.

"That's all I ask baby girl, I want you to be happy here because this is our new home and we're staying." And like that she was out the door.

I walk over and slide my bedroom window up and sit on the roof and watch everything going on at the park. There's this guy down there that looks about my age, kinda tall, well let's face it, everyone is taller then me. He also had shaggy dirty blonde hair. Kinda cute, I think it's him skateboarding that's catching my attention. Adverting my eyes elsewhere. New York City is sure a beautiful place to live. All the lights and everything is breathtaking to me.