3. Were Neighbors?

Maya's POV

I just sat in my car after school completely zoned out. All and all school was actually good. The people were friendly. Honestly all that was stuck in my head right now is why Lucas wants to know about me so bad. I still don't get it. It was literally nice just talking to someone who knows nothing about me. If I tell him much more it'll send him for the hills. I want him in my life though for some reason, I'm not sure why. I need to shake this before it becomes a problem, I can't get attached to anybody.

As I pull into my driveway I see a guy getting out of his car next door.. You have got to be kidding me. I sighed in frustration and got out of my car.

"Well, well, well huckleberry we meet again." I grinned at him while throwing my backpack on my shoulder.

"Ohhh, your Katy's daughter." Oh Jesus, Lucas is the one my mom was referring to yesterday that I should hang out with. I can handle him at school, but now he lives next door to me, this is going to be tougher then I initially thought it would.

"The one and only." I shot a smirk at him.

"So, have you decided to realize that you trust me yet?" He just won't give up.

"I'd say my thoughts are precisely what they were 3 hours ago. Nice try Ranger Rick." Why can't he just be interested about someone else.

"Oh, well, that's too bad Maya because we could be friends you know, sometimes you just have to trust people and sometimes they can surprise you." What he says makes sense, don't get me wrong, but I can't bring myself to do it.

"Prove it to me that a friendship between us could work and maybe I'll consider trusting you." Okay, this was the plan I'm going with I guess. Something tells me I'll regret this because he is such a great guy, what's not to like about him?

"I may have to take you up on that offer, Hart." Hart that was the best he had for a nickname?

"We'll see now won't we because I don't think you'll last." If he proves me wrong then I'll be shocked.

"Maya why won't you let people get to know you, will you at least tell me that?" He really seemed sincere and that I could at least trust him with that.. Wait, he's right, I do trust him.

"Let's go sit down on the bench." Him and I walked over to the bench at the side of my house. I took a deep breath before I began "look, at my old school something really bad happened and it affected me and all my friends in a way that it broke us completely, we couldn't even look at each other before I moved away. My mom still thinks it's because of me moving away, as serious as what happened was, I couldn't tell her. I can't tell anyone besides my old friends obviously, but moral of the story is that every time I get close to people they leave me in some way and it's so unbelievably hard for me to let someone get close in fear of them leaving me like the others." I can tell by Lucas' facial expression that he was expecting me to start crying.

"Maya, I hope that someday I can prove you can trust me, I don't want you to ever feel like I'll ever hurt you because I won't, I'm not that type of person, friendship means the world to me and every friendship is special and unique in their own way and some people are so lucky to find love in their best friend. " I could tell he meant every word he just said, no one has ever talked to me the way he does.

"I hope so too Lucas because I like talking to you." I looked up and smiled at him.

"I like talking to you, too, Maya. I know we just met, but I just feel like I can talk to you and it's not even like we're strangers and not to mention you're-" we both looked at his driveway when a car pulled in.

"Who's that?" I pointed at the car while looking at him.

"That's my girlfriend, Riley." His body language slightly shifted from relaxed to tense in a matter of seconds.

"Well, don't keep her waiting Huckleberry, go." I gestured for him that it was okay for him to leave.

"Before I go, here put your number in my phone and I'll text you later?" He held out his phone to me.

"You're lucky there's something about you that I like." I took his phone from his hand and put my number in his phone. Once I gave him back his phone, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. Test number one, will he actually text me?

Hmm, girlfriend, I should have known.

Lucas's POV

I texted Maya about an hour ago after Riley left, but she didn't respond. There's seriously something about Maya that draws me to her. I've been tossing and turning all night. I get out of bed and slide my bedroom window open and sit on the roof and I can see directly into Maya's backyard. Then I noticed a blonde sitting in the moonlight drawing. So that's her hobby, art. The way the moon glistened off her hair. She was at peace with nature. This girl is truly something else. It's probably a little weird to just sit here and watch, but I can't help it.