24. Test Results

Maya's POV

Lucas crawled in the hospital bed with me and held me until the doctor came back with the results.

"We'll Miss Hart, you have a concussion. Based on the information you gave us about what happened, it appears you were clearly attacked. Was anyone else there that you can remember?" He asked trying to determine what happened.

"No, no one that I knew of, but if I know her, which I'm pretty sure I do, she probably had company hiding waiting to take me out. They blame me for my ex's suicide so I'm guessing that's probably what happened." I replied to him.

"I'm sorry for your loss. You shouldn't be blamed for that, but I think you should watch your surroundings for the next few weeks to make sure they don't try something again because you're lucky they didn't kill you, because they could have with you knocked out, but they also may have thought they did and ran." He said with the most sympathetic voice I ever heard.

"You don't need to be sorry. I don't let it affect me anymore. I have an amazing support system now to get me through tough things." I replied to him which made him smile and I could also see Lucas smiling out of the corner of my eye.

"I'll need you to stay home from school at least until Wednesday and you'll need to be kept a close eye on between now and then. I prescribed you medication for any headaches or pain that you'll probably have. Any questions?" He asked with a friendly smile.

"No, I think that's all." I responded quickly, I just wanted to get out of here to be honest.

We all walked out of the hospital together after signing the discharge papers.

"Maya do you want me to take you home or Lucas?" My mom asked.

"I'll just go with Lucas so you can get back to work. I'll see you tonight, thank you for coming." I replied and gave her a hug.

•••

After we said our goodbyes with my mom we went to the drugstore to get my medication and headed home. Lucas refused to let me walk on my own so he carried me into the house and up the stairs and into my room.

"Are you hungry? Do you want anything to eat?" He asked while sitting next to me.

"The only thing I want is for you not to go anywhere. Just stay here with me." I said while I looked into his eyes. "I'm sorry for being such an ass earlier."

"It's okay Maya, you don't need to apologize for anything." He responded.

"No it's not okay. You literally drop everything for me and it wasn't fair of me to be unfair to you." I said to him in almost tears.

"You were scared, it's totally understandable. That's why I gave you space." He responded as he leaned in closing the gap between us and gave me an instant passionate kiss. "I love you, Maya."

"I love you, too." I replied with a smile plastered on my face.

He placed his hand softly on my cheek and rubbed his thumb back and forth across my cheek.

"I promised you in February that I would always be here for you no matter what and that includes taking care of you, that hasn't changed." He spoke up again smiling at me.