Chapter One

"Daniel, please help your sister with her shoelace! We're going to be late," I shouted from downstairs.

Daniel was running around looking for things he could stuff in his suitcase last minute. Things that are very important, he had said whilst his sister was at the top of the stairs struggling with her shoelace. Although they were twins, they were the complete opposite of each other and not because of their gender. Daniel was into Marvel like most kids his age but he was also into insects, whereas Deanna was fonder of reading and she was very argumentative – trust me, you would not want to enter an argument with her. I called out to the twins so that we could all finally leave.

"Coming, ma!" they yelled in unison.

Pitter patter echoed through the house as they ran down the staircase and towards me. Deanna was in front of her brother, donning a pink floral dress and a princess tiara she insisted on wearing. I suppressed an eye-roll just remembering the fuss she put up about it, but you know once she gets started on an argument; laying out her points carefully and elaborately along with that damnable look when she wants her way. I couldn't resist and obliged. Her hair was sleeked into a firm hold with shiny, juicy fat curls. It was a miracle the tiara didn't fall as she ran towards me because I would've never heard the end of her fretting about me not fixing it right. Then came her brother, decked out in a blue Spiderman T-shirt and khaki cargo pants, his golden curls bouncing on his head, his light brown eyes twinkling with glee as he ran.

"Slow down there, speedies," I said, laughing at their excitement. Heck, even I am excited! And scared – why am I even scared? This was the first time we were going to be travelling abroad as a family and I'm supposed to be thinking about the fun stuff, but part of me knew the real reason behind my sudden fright.

Him.

Shaking my head to get out of my thought so I don't dwell on it, I focused on the basic things to worry about instead.

"...And the airport had to be miles away, Lord Jesus give me the faith that I need today." I grumbled, to myself. Our first vacation out of Guyana and I'm going around in circles. I rolled our suitcases and carry-on bags to the door, waiting for the taxi that was going to take us to the airport.

I couldn't remember the last time I felt this overwhelmed; not even the time when I found out I was pregnant. When I needed my own space and a job. The only thing missing was my own car. Buying a motor vehicle in Guyana was very hard especially if you were middle-class and lower-class citizen nevertheless I was working towards one.

I tugged at the sleeve of the floral jumper I was wearing so as to avoid it rolling up. At the same time, my mind was spiralling out of control with worry. Were the pipes off? The iron unplugged? Were all the electrical appliances off? Were the doors locked? Any and everything that needed to be done last minute before we were on our way crossed my mind.

Looking around my little home, I was really proud of what I have accomplished. Being thirty years old, a single mom to fraternal twin babies – well, not really babies anymore but you get the drift – whom I love to death and being a nursery school teacher was working out pretty good too, it doesn't pay that much but I was able to save enough money to acquire three visitor visas for Daniel, Deanna and I.

Life was good, however, it wasn't that great but who's complaining?

You are, my subconscious mused at me.

Seeing the yellow taxi pull up in my lot brought me out of my thoughts. We walked out of the house together. I asked the driver to help load our bags into the car trunk, minus our carry-on. I strapped the kids in at the back and got into the passenger side of the car. I decided I was going to make the best out of this vacation. Relax and try to enjoy life the best I could. After-all, I have been working myself into the grind or at least according to my best friend and I needed to unwind. She's going to show us a fun time and that's what I am hoping for.