Chapter Seventeen: Best Mom Ever

I woke up with the worst pain in my neck. I slowly opened my eyes expecting to see daylight, but instead it was actually pretty dark.

"Sleep well?" A feminine voice spoke up making me jump. I quickly turned my head to the left of me where the voice came from, which I instantly regretted. My neck tensed up making pain surge through my body. "Oh my god! I didn't mean to scare you!" She said jumping up and coming close to my side to make sure I was okay.

Her worried face was framed by long, dark brown hair that looked basically black. She had dark, chocolate brown eyes to match. Her brows were furrowed together as she asked me questions that I wasn't really bothering to listen to. I was just focused on her face and my neck pain.

"I'm okay. It's okay," I said as she helped me sit up. I wasn't really okay, though. It felt like someone just broke my neck.

"Oh, thank god," she sighed and then flashed me a gorgeous smile. "I'm Reagan. The, um, Gamma's mate. Eli-I mean Jale-sent me up here to make sure you didn't wake up alone," she rambled quickly leading me to believe she was either nervous or excited. Maybe even both. "I already know who you are. Well, everyone in the pack knows who you are-wait that sounds weird! I-" she said starting to get even more nervous.

"Hey, calm down. Breathe a little," I interrupted her. I placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed which I'm surprised actually did call her down. Her brown eyes connected with my grey ones. "Deep breath," I encouraged. She nodded and sucked in a deep breath. Reagan continued taking deep breaths until she seemed to actually calm down. Then, she shot me a shy smile.

"Sorry, I'm new to this pack. I haven't made many new friends since Maverick doesn't really let me leave his side," she chuckled nervously. I could only assume Maverick was her mate.

"It's better than not being able to see him at all," I mumbled to myself, but she ended up hearing me.

"Yeah, that would suck. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't see him," she said with a light giggle. My heart ached at her oblivious comment. She obviously had no clue that I was in that very position as we speak. I frowned and looked down at my hands in my lap. "Everything okay?"

I looked up at her as she looked at me with worried eyes once again. I nodded, but everything inside of me wanted to scream that I wasn't, and the love of my life was being abused by my own family, and my only friends are locked in cellars.

"Okay. Good, I was worried that-" I could tell Reagan was about to babble again, so I was thankful when the door opened. We both turned to look and see my brother walk in. Eli's eyes stopped on me with an expressionless look.

"Reagan, Maverick is looking for you," he said as he continued looking at me. With an 'okay', Reagan ran out of the room and slammed the door behind her.

"She's interesting," I said with a sigh and a small smile. Eli ran a hand through his brown hair and walked over to me as I sat in the bed.

"Trust me, when I found out she was Maverick's mate I could barely believe it. Someone like her helping to keep this pack in order," he said with a small chuckle. He shook his head as he did so. "She has anxiety, so she gets really nervous talking to new people."

"Oh." That made sense. I mean, I've never really been around anyone with anxiety, but her constant anxiousness whether or not I was upset with her was what I believed someone with anxiety would act like.

Eli took a seat in a chair on the far corner of my room. I watched him as I waited for him to say something until it hit me that I did not make it to my room last night.