Chapter thirteen

I woke to the curtains being pulled back, groaning into the pillows, snuggling further in, until I heard a throat clear. "Go away your Highness."
"I could have you thrown in prison for your remarks last night."
"Do it, I don't care anymore."
"Livia, what have I done to offend you?"
"Just leave me alone," I said, burying my face into the pillows.
"No, you carry my child, and you are to be my wife. I don't know what more you want from me."
"Go find your damn whores, because you will not share a bed with me."
"What I do with other women is none of your business, and we will share a bed, that is what a husband and wife do."
"Get out," I said, turning to face away from him.
I buried my face into the pillows, tears streaming down my face. He will never understand what he's done to me. "What have I done to you? Why do you hate me?" I heard him ask.
Feigning sleep, I didn't answer. I felt the bed dip beside me, his fingers stroking my cheek. "Livia, what the hell have I done to you? Don't you understand how much I love you?"
His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me back against him. "Let go of me," I said, struggling to get out of his grip.
"Not until you tell me what I have done to offend you."
"Your very presence offends you. You are not my husband, yet you took my virginity from me when I was your slave. God knows how many other women you've done that to. It doesn't matter to you who they are. You've humiliated me in front of the lords, degrading me in every way, making me wear outfits that were not worthy of a princess. And don't even get me started on how you treat the slaves of this palace."
His hands dropped from my waist, sliding out of the bed, I watched as he went to the door, opening it, then slamming it shut as he left. I sunk against the pillows, my heart shattering yet again because of him. His mother was wrong, he won't listen to me. I didn't leave the bed, even when my father came and sat beside me. "Livia, you mustn't anger his Highness any further."
"Don't speak to me about him. He will never understand what he's done to me. You will never understand the degrading things he's done to me either. But yet, I still love him, and it sickens me."
"Livia, you will marry him, and that's final."
"So you'd allow a man who sleeps with any woman he desires the hand of your only daughter. Is this truly the hands you'd put your grandchild into? What would mother say if she were with us?"
His eyes filled with sadness, sighing, "My decision is final. Your mother would tell you to do your duty."
"And what about what is right? Is degrading slave, princess, woman or man the way you want us to be treated?"
"I said that's enough Livia."
I shook my head sadly at him, "I thought you actually cared about me, but I see I'm just a pawn in all of yours and his Highnesses game."
My father stood, going to the door, "You will marry him, you will bear him children, and you will do your duty."
Bayley and Dean entered as my father left, "I need your twos help. I feel as if no one will understand except for the two of you. I wish to go to the slaves quarters to help all of you throughout my stay here. It is only right for me to do so."
"Princess, his Highness, their Majesties, and your father won't approve," Bayley said.
"It doesn't matter what they approve of. This is what I choose to do with my time. Plus I also need to know the people here if I am to be their queen, I need to know who I can trust. Help me get dressed and we can begin. There are going to be changes around here."
Once Bayley helped me change, we went down to the servants quarters, each person bowing or curtsying to me. "There is no need for that, I am humbly here to assist all of you. We are all equals. Remember I was once with you all, and I will make sure that you are all treated equally and fairly, and it is also my command, that no woman is to go to his Highnesses chambers without my permission."
Dean smirked over everyone's heads at me, whispering later, "He's not going to like that."
"Then he should've thought about that before signing the documents to ensure I'm his wife."
He laughed, "Come princess, we will show you the grounds, since we all know where you stayed the last time."
I followed them into the gardens, "This is Connor, he is the head groundskeeper."
"Princess, it is an honor to meet you."
"Likewise Connor. And please, call me Livia. And may I say, the gardens are beautiful, my mother, may the Gods rest her soul, that she would've loved to see this."
"Thank you princess, we do our best."
"And I thank you. Forgive me sir, but do you have a family?"
"Yes my lady, a wife, and two daughters."
"Go home to them, take time with them today."
"Livia, what are you doing fraternizing with these people?" His voice boomed behind me.
"Ignore him, I do, sir, go home to your family, spend time with your children."
Roman grabbed my arm, spinning me to me, "Excuse me your Highness, but I have work that needs to be done if I am to be your wife."
Walking away from him, I saw the gardener hurrying away from Roman. That night, I dined in my room insisting that Dean and Bayley join me. As we dined, Roman came in, his face reddening upon seeing them sitting with me. I continued to chat to them, ignoring him. He sat down beside me, his eyes trained to my face. Smirking, I said to Dean and Bayley, "Now tomorrow, I expect to do some more work, there's a lot of changes that need to be done around here. Oh and don't forget what we spoke about earlier Dean."
"Yes Princess, anything else you need before you turn in for the night."
"No, you both are free to do as you choose, go to your families, or lovers, I know that you both have done enough for the day, and I thank you."
Once they left, Roman spun me to face him. "How dare you do this? You are not queen yet."
"But I will be, and these people deserve better than what you and your family has given them. I bet you don't know half of the servants names."
He stuttered, "Just as I thought. And you are to be the King, it's a good thing you have me to cover your idiocy."
I stood, walking to my wardrobe, pulling out a silk nightgown.

Once I put it on, Romans mouth dropped open, as he started towards me, I said, "Why are you still here? You are not my husband, and I am not some whore that you can have whenever you want

Once I put it on, Romans mouth dropped open, as he started towards me, I said, "Why are you still here? You are not my husband, and I am not some whore that you can have whenever you want."
His eyes narrowed, licking his lips, "Goodnight your Highness," I said, ushering him out the door.