Why

Everyone was nervous. And even the doctor could tell it. Al's hands were tightly clenched, his face filled with worry. Roy had begun holding his breathe in anticipation for the news. Ed on the other hand, he looked the most nervous. Normally, the elder Elric had been good at keeping his emotions hidden, but lately, his feelings could be seen written all over his face. The doctor released a sigh, fixed his glasses, and looked at his clipboard.

"Mr. Elric, it appears you have a disease called Tuberculosis." He explained.

"Can it be treated?" Al cut in.

"The disease is rare...we don't see it around much with our normal patients, so I'm not entirely sure there's even a cure right now." He explained glumly. Roy felt himself freeze.

"Is it serious?" He asked, nervousness dripping in his voice.

"It depends on how long Mr. Elric has had this disease. And from the looks of it, he's had it for at least a few weeks or so..." The Doctor trailed off. Ed bit his bottom lip.

"How....? How could we have not seen the signs?" He mumbled. The doctor frowned slightly.

"The symptoms take awhile to appear, so the only way to catch it, is to have a medical professional diagnose it." The three men in the room stiffened.

"How much time do I have left?" Ed mumbled, focusing on the bed sheets on top of him.

"I'd estimate about two months."